Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jody has been on raw food for almost 2 months. I am following rawfeddogs schedule but I am going a little slower because Jody, GSD, is sensitive to new protein and fat. She handles poultry fine but can't tolerate more than about 5ounces of pork a day (gas and loose stool). I would like to introduce beef and just found ground beef for .99 a lb. at our local grocery store. I know ground beef has a higher bacteria load but the price was right and it will be easier for me to portion out in small batches. Will ground beef be ok to feed?
Is it any richer to digest than pork? I am ready to bag/freeze it and I have about 10 lbs. of it. Any advice as to what portion sizes I should freeze it in?
As a side note..I kind of went out of order and have been giving her about 3 ounces of beef liver each day with no problem. I just found beef kidney so I will add that as soon as she is on beef.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yes, ground beef is fine to feed, though obviously not ideal since it has been ground/processed. However it is is meat and ok to feed every now and then. Generally ground beef is richer than pork so you'll want to start out with a smaller amount of it if Jody has been showing sensitivities in the past. You can just freeze it in whatever package it was sent home in or in ziploc freezer bags to store the extras.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I supplement a beef rib meal with a little ground beef, just to up the meat content of th meal.
While ground is not necessarily ideal, and of course whole slabs of meat are better, a meal of ground meat per week, for affordability and variety's sake, is not going to hurt anything. I don't turn down a great sale on ground meat. ever.
On the other hand, you don't want to make it a huge portion of the diet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts