Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was actually looking for HUMAN recipes for beef heart and stumbled on this:
Beef Heart Jerky For Dogs Recipe - Food.com - 390241
I know a lot of y'all feed beef heart, and thought it might make a good training treat :biggrin: I think I would have a hard time saving any for the dog!

·
Registered
209 Posts
:shocked: woah, I did not know you can "dehydrate" meats using an oven.

Neeeaaaat, better bet I'm gonna try it :nerd:
Maybe I did it wrong, but I tried using my oven this past weekend and yeah, it did not work so well. I ordered a dehydrator!!! Anyway - if it works for you, please please share your tips!!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
You need a low heat around 100 F, leave the door open a bit and if it is very fatty then you need to raise the meat out of the juices.

hope this helps :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can just see my cats trying to climb into the hot oven. Think I'll try to come up with a safety screen before I try this one. Of course, I also have to find some beef heart.

Does this work with other meats, too? My little squirt is going to be starting agility this Spring, and I really want to have some excellent, enticing treats for her.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I did it wrong, but I tried using my oven this past weekend and yeah, it did not work so well. I ordered a dehydrator!!! Anyway - if it works for you, please please share your tips!!!
Did you leave the fat on by chance? Fat will go rancid when drying so that may have been the case.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can just see my cats trying to climb into the hot oven. Think I'll try to come up with a safety screen before I try this one. Of course, I also have to find some beef heart.

Does this work with other meats, too? My little squirt is going to be starting agility this Spring, and I really want to have some excellent, enticing treats for her.
It certainly should! I know for a fact that some people do it with liver.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Using the oven to dehydrate works fine, I've done it before. I dehydrated whole chicken hearts recently.

I had actually never even heard of a dehydrator before I saw someone mention it on a American dog forum. I have never seen a dehydrator, and you can barely find them here. They seem handy, but the oven works for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ooooh, chicken hearts! I have a whole bunch of those! Maybe I'll try that tomorrow, as a test run!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did you leave the fat on by chance? Fat will go rancid when drying so that may have been the case.
I did read that you were supposed to cut the fat off, so I did - mostly, I wasn't totally anal about that! But I did it at 200, left the door open, had them on like a broiler type thing, so that they weren't actually sitting in any grease.....I don't know, maybe I didn't have enough patience, but I swear they were in there for like 2+ hours!

And - I did read about people doing venison and liver jerky....I'm guessing just about any meat would work! You know, if you know how to do it!!! :) As for me, I'll just wait for the dehydrator to come....it is a cool idea though especially for when you want treats on the go! The idea of carrying around a pocket full of raw meat just doesn't sound fun at all!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
You may have had the heat too high. 100/150 should be the highest temp you use. But, I dunno! If I could afford a dehydrator I would certainly use it instead. And yeah, LOL, I don't imagine carrying a bloody steak in your pocket would be ideal.
haha, yea, especially not for a vegan!!! And maybe that was the problem - I'm vegan, I'm not supposed to COOK meat!!!! But hey, if the dehydrator works - I'll send ya send!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts