Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my first order from Harvest Meats today. I got a case each of chicken quarters, turkey necks, and beef head meat. The first two are common, I know, but the beef head meat was actually a recommendation from the salesman. He said that some of the local kennels feed it as well. Figuring that it couldn't be too bad, I bought some.

It's difficult to tell right now what it's going to be like since it's currently sitting on my kitchen counter in a solid 60 pound block, so I was wondering if you guys have any experience with it.....

Thanks in advance!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
No idea. But I think you can rule out brains. I think it's illegal to sell those.

BTW, I made an audible "uuugghhh" when i saw the title of this post! :eek:

Richelle

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea. But I think you can rule out brains. I think it's illegal to sell those.

BTW, I made an audible "uuugghhh" when i saw the title of this post! :eek:

Richelle
Haha...I know it!!! It does have an awesome name.

The guy on the phone told me that it's trimmings from the neck up to the eyebrow. I can see some parts that look like meat and then there's parts that look like fat or skin...maybe??? LOL It's the color of skin and bumpy. :tongue:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does it look like? I get beef hearts in 60lb cases also.
Well it's kinda difficult to tell right now since it's in a huge meat block on my counter. :wink: But from what I can tell it's basically just hunks of meat cut off of the skull and neck. It has sections of meat with marbling, and sections of what looks like fat or skin (it's a cream color and wrinkly).

I'll try and get a pic up today of my beefsicle. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Sounds like a good find...I will have to ask if our Harvest branch offers it...

*waits for Kim to post pictures of her beefsicle*

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so here's the pics...

Here's proof that I'm not crazy, and it really is beef head meat:

Here's a close-up of the beefsicle:

A more panned out view of it:

Me holding a chunk of the goodness that I managed to rip off:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those are actually really helpful. I will ask about them the next time I make an order from them. How much per pound was it?
It wasn't that cheap, not as cheap as beef hearts anyway. It was $1.31 a pound, $78.60 for the case.

I figure that if I feed it in moderation (like 2 times a week) it will last me about a year. LOL :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It wasn't that cheap, not as cheap as beef hearts anyway. It was $1.31 a pound, $78.60 for the case.

I figure that if I feed it in moderation (like 2 times a week) it will last me about a year. LOL :biggrin:
Thats not too bad considering its beef, not to many cheap sources for beef. I was thinking of feeding it in moderation too...great minds think alike :wink:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
That thing your holding looks like long balls!LOL

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I woulda bet that you were crazy but I guess I would have lost that bet. :smile:
Damn skippy!!! :wink:

It's not everyday that I can outsmart the RawFed. (haha...sounds like a rapper name :biggrin:)

Thats not too bad considering its beef, not to many cheap sources for beef.
Yeah I know it...the fun part is getting to slowly pull off each chunk as it thaws out. Well, I have my weekend planned out!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's some more pics that I took while dissecting and bagging the meat. They give a better idea of what beef head meat is all about. :)

The happy meat face:

Mound o' meat:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Looks like lots of fun...................................

1 - 20 of 30 Posts