Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new here, but only sort of new to raw feeding. My 1.5 year old/22lb beagle was showing a chicken (maybe all poultry?) sensitivity (*lots* of scratching and some fur loss) from the time he was very young. That let me into lots of food research. I knew raw was the best alternative, but didn't make the plunge immediately. He was on Evo Red Meat for most of puppyhood and did quite well on it until I finally make the switch to raw about 3 months ago. I haven't tried giving him poultry yet on raw, but would like to eventually since I have heard that often dogs that are sensitive to chicken in kibble can handle it raw.
His current diet consists of pork (ribs are main bone source because of the lack poultry in his life), beef, lamb, some bison, fish, and some rabbit. He gets various organs from the above animals that make up about 10% of his diet. Overall, the switch has been good, but not as dramatic as it has been for some. However, in the last month or 6 weeks, I have noticed that Charlie's skin and coat are seeming a bit dry and his coat isn't shiny.

Do you have any thoughts or insight into this? Something I should be adding to his diet? Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will definitely try that. I hadn't been supplementing thinking that he was getting some fish, but this is worth a try!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
In the past 6 weeks the climate has changed greatly and pollen and other environmental irritants have been bugging dogs all over the US. I don't know where you are located but I have a very strong suspicion that your dog is suffering from seasonal allergies. We had to put one of our dogs on low dose steroids for her to stop chewing holes in herself. Not all dogs get this severe but just show the symptoms you describe. I would be pretty confident in saying that this is the source of your dog's problems.

It might also be compounded by the fact that now and for the next few months is the time that a lot of dogs blow their summer coats in order to grow in their winter coats.

Either way, I don't think diet is to blame here. You can do what RFD suggested and add in fish oil because it never hurts to do so. Since omega 3 fatty acids always helps skin and coat health.

Hello and welcome! I hope this helps and you also find all that you are looking for here! Don't hesitate to jump right into anything!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
How often are you feeding fish? I feed canned salmon, mackerel or sardines once a week mixed with an egg but I also supplement with a salmon oil cap and the dogs coats are gleaming.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
hi and welcome...

my dogs get salmon oil, plus i feed them fish two to three times a week....

what organs are you feeding them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts