Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently a three-year olf beagle named Bandit was brought to the clinic I work at with a history of comiting, diarrhea, lethary, and a very sore stomach. Usually, Bandit was fed a commercial dry food, but two days earlier, his family had treated him to a dinner of turkey meat with skin and gravy. We did some X-rays and blood work, which revealed that Bandit had pancreatitis. His problem was caused by his recent table-scraps feast. Fortunately, with treatment, he made a full recovery.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Recently a three-year olf beagle named Bandit was brought to the clinic I work at with a history of comiting, diarrhea, lethary, and a very sore stomach. Usually, Bandit was fed a commercial dry food, but two days earlier, his family had treated him to a dinner of turkey meat with skin and gravy. We did some X-rays and blood work, which revealed that Bandit had pancreatitis. His problem was caused by his recent table-scraps feast. Fortunately, with treatment, he made a full recovery.
Sounds like the symptoms of the detox explained that might happen when switching from a kibble diet to the RAW diet. I mean... I'm just sayin..

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Bahahahahaaha! Good point! I bet his family also forgot to lower the amount of kibble they were feeding him before they gave him this treat too. And how can anyone say that beagle was doing well before that when he had a history of vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, and a sore stomach? Unless you're saying that's what his symptoms were but you definitely said that was his history, which leads me to believe that pup isn't doing too well on his kibble.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah.. and what about blood test and xrays in ANY way relate this to his treat of a dinner? You can't prove that the turkey set off his symptoms. How do you know he didn't get into some cleaning stuff or something lying around the house.. and with a HISTORY of all those symptoms, that just sets a point of turkey being the issue even further away.

I'm still trying to make sense of this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couldn't the turkey have been just way too fatty, casuing the pancreatitus? I have heard that a lot of dogs have incidents around Thanksgiving, due to eating fatty turkey that they are not used to.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm still trying to make sense of this.
Don't try to make sense of it. It's obvious. Either the vet or the poster or both came to an illogical conslusion after looking at the symptoms and history. Raw meat doesn't cause parcreatitis, it cures it.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Moral of the story...industry diets are dangerous in many ways and the dog would have been better off with eating table scraps for 3 years.

L

·
0 Posts
In the old days, dogs lived and roamed freely and ate leftovers (table scraps) all the time, and never saw a vet. Both my aunt and my grandmother had dairy farms with lots of dogs running free on the property. They all got leftovers from whatever the family ate. They all survived just fine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Moral of the story...industry diets are dangerous in many ways and the dog would have been better off with eating table scraps for 3 years.
My dogs are 100% kibble eaters as I don't want you to think due to my answer that I feed raw. Am thinking about it but not there yet. However, and, I can't say w/certainty that the dog's one time eating of table scraps should be compared w/feeding a raw diet. First off, the table scraps had gravy on them. (Sounds pretty rich to me for a first time.) I, myself, don't eat gravy and what that dog ate would be enough to make me sick too. Plus, his history was one of, I believe, you said lethargy and vomiting. (Sorry if I forgot something here.) It just doesn't seem logical that all at once, because of this dinner, he would have pancreatitis. Wouldn't he have been on the road to pancreatitis and this dinner may have been the "straw that broke the camel's back" so to say?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts