Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an American Pit Bull Terrier named "Sig". He will be 2 years old in August.
This is his "story":

On August 15th of last year, my best friend and I were walking past a vets office where a couple was standing on the steps with their APBT. Being a huge fan of the breed, I commented on how beautiful he was. The woman promptly reached out her hand with the dogs leash in it and asked: You want him? Take him.

The dog had just turned one, and the couple told a story about buying a new home, and not being able to take him...blah blah blah. They were at the vets office to "have the dog euthanized, because they would have just put him down at the shelter anyway."

My best friend grabbed the leash, and we decided that even if my husband didnt agree on us keeping the dog, she would find it a home.

Anyway...after a bath, some new doggy gear (leash/collar), a complete work up at the vet (shots, de-worming, neuter, bloodwork....) and I have now had the most amazing, sweetest, most lovable companion for the last 10 months.

Honestly, if your spouse came home and told you this story...could you have said no?

My second rescue is my English Bulldog "Rhino". He is 10 months old.

At 7 weeks of age, he and a littermate came into the vets office where I worked, brought in by a client who had travelled hundreds of miles to pick them up. He had a cleft palate that seemed to have healed on its own, but his lip/nose still had a very visable cleft that would need to be surgically repaired. His littermate presented with a stage 3 heart murmur. He had no idea what he was going to do with them.

He had been taken from a bad breeder in Amish country in Ohio, who continued to breed bitches who were producing offspring with genetic abnormalities.

I ended up taking the little guy (4.5lbs) with the cleft, and a coworker took home the pup (8lbs) with the heart murmur. After an extensive work up at a different vets office, I have come to find out that Rhino has:

A cleft lip
An elongated soft palate
A Butterfly Vertebrae
Some problem where his ribs are spread too far apart, but I cant for the life of me recall the name...
All of this is on top of the fact that he's a English Bulldog...which means skin allergies and coat/wrinkles problems!!!

Yup. I wouldnt trade him for the world.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow! That first story is amazing. You literally saved that dog's life. Is it me or does it look like Sig has some boxer in him?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm glad I don't work in a vets office or we'd have twice as many dogs and cats as we do now. I wouldn't have to worry about my husband saying no, he's worse than I am!

Was the vet really going to euthanize a perfectly good dog that was only a year old?? That's a shame. Luckily you showed up in the right place at the right time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts