Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my girl's breath is so not nice. Anyone have any easy to come by preferably easy on the pocket book remedies for icky breathe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Okay my girl's breath is so not nice. Anyone have any easy to come by preferably easy on the pocket book remedies for icky breathe
Bad breath is caused by bacteria in the mouth, throat, or sometimes stomach. Most often it's the mouth. I had 2 Goldens with horrible breath. 2 days after switching them to raw it went away, never to return again. My Danes have never had bad breath.

The only other solution is to get rid of the bacteria in the mouth which is usually caused by left over kibble between gums and cheeks and between gums and teeth.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry not interested in RAW for a variety of reasons. She gets her teeth brushed and it just happened recently, when she was taking so much fish oil so I cut back and then completely dumped it for awhile and it has helped but hasn't eliminated. It isn't really a bacterial smell but more of a fish smell.

But thanks NOT INTERESTED IN RAW which I think I've mentioned in a few posts.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that once I switched to raw and all my dogs were crunching through bones on a daily basis, it really helped clean their teeth and freshen their breath. I don't have to give them any extra bones, I've completely stopped brushing their teeth because I don't need to. It's worked better than anything else I've ever tried. Raw is like my one-stop shop for clean teeth, better poop, happier dogs, better coats, fresher breath, feeding, etc.

I know you aren't interested in raw, but you asked what works for us, and we told you, there's no reason to get mad at us for being honest. Maybe someone else who has a bad breath dog who's open to the idea of raw might read this and it could help them.

I can lie if you'd like?

I feed my dogs Greenies and they've really helped get the extra junk off their teeth. Greenies Smart Biscuits also act like mouthwash, freshening the breath even more. Nutro makes tartar control biscuits that are supposed to further cut back on bad breath. I also buy some breath freshening stuff you can just pour directly into their water bowl, that helps as well. You can get it at PetsMart for about $13 for a big bottle. They also have some doggy breath mints you can buy (that's what I tried in the past, along with bones for chewing).

Like I said, none of that stuff worked nearly as well as raw, but at least I spent a lot of money and time on trying them. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Sorry if that sounded mean, it's just that you asked for help and then got really mad/mean about it when you got an honest response.

We all know you aren't interested in raw. Maybe more bones to chew on will help your pup's breath?

What are you doing for her now besides the brushing?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but with her medical problems I do not feel she is a candidate for raw, not to mention it isn't something I am interested in for a variety of reasons. I'm not saying it doesn't work (although she gets raw bones occasionally and her teeth are clean) however it isn't for us, and for pete's sake I think RFD has a lot to offer but that's his "cure all" for everything and well as with anything I don't believe that one thing is the answer for everything, does it work for some? I'm sure it does, however no I don't believe it can work for all (as some can attest to on his forum no less), and it isn't something I'm interested in. She's almost 7 years old has eaten kibble her entire life and it JUST started (and I literally mean overnight) in the past few months. She was on extremely high doses of fish oil for her joint issues and so I cut back on that and actually stopped it for awhile as that was about the time it happened and like I said literally overnight, however stopping it has not solved the problem.

I'm not getting peeved per se, I'm just tired of every single thread that raw has to be the answer to everything, it starts getting old after awhile. Especially when many have voiced that they aren't interested, for whatever reason, in feeding raw (myself included). However she DOES get raw bones a few times a month which hasn't done jack diddly squat.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry if that sounded mean, it's just that you asked for help and then got really mad/mean about it when you got an honest response.

We all know you aren't interested in raw. Maybe more bones to chew on will help your pup's breath?

What are you doing for her now besides the brushing?
It wasn't directed at you, it was directed at RFD, drives me crazy that that seems to be his "cure all" for everything. I don't believe in a one size fits all for anything, but especially food. And I know I am not the only one to have voiced this "issue".

She gets her teeth brused and raw bones. She doesn't get many treats as she gets fat easily with no exercise, but she does get her teeth brushed (a few times a week and raw bones (a few times a month). According to my vet her teeth are very clean especially for her age and she doesn't feel it is stemming from her teeth but possibly her stomach. We're not sure if it's possibly her meds and/or supplements, we thought it was too much fish oil so I cut back and eventually omitted but it hasn't fixed the problem. It *may* be the Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM, I know it's made from fish cartlidge or something along those lines and she takes very high doses of it, but she needs it so that's not something I can change.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
What about the breath freshener stuff they sell that can be put in their water?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What about the breath freshener stuff they sell that can be put in their water?

Yeah I had bought that years ago with my first dog (well like 5 years ago not complete ancient history LoL) and I never really found it to work very well. Has it been improved in the last few years?

I've done some research and asked around as well and apparently parsley is used for bad breathe too. I've seen some sites that say just add a little to their food and others that say make a "tea" out of it by steeping a few sprigs in hot water and then they can either drink some of the water or you can put it in a spray bottle and spritz it into their mouth. Can also make parsley treats. May have to see if it actually works.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Neither of my dogs are on raw and their breath doesn't stink. If it's not something your dog is eating, could it be something in his stomach? Maybe there's something there that's causing his icky breath since it seemed to start so quickly. Just a thought =D

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only thing in her stomach is meds and food. May possibly be her meds, had to up doses earlier in the year, but this has been going on for a few months now she's eaten different foods over that time, but like I said only thing in her stomach is meds and food.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know Rann mentioned this in jest earlier, but what about Greenies? My pooches had some pretty bad breath and we used those. They helped a lot and weren't terrible expensive and can be found almost anywhere. But it sounds like the fish oil may still be lingering. Let us know if you find something that works!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No she doesn't get into stuff, VERY mellow dog and doesn't get into stuff. Not to mention this has been going on for a good 6-8 months, so even IF she had gotten into something it wouldn't be continuing, but she's in the house 24/7 unless she runs out to potty and there's nothing in the house for her to get into.

I'll try the parsley and if that doesn't work I'll look into the ingredients on the Greenies. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It wasn't directed at you, it was directed at RFD, drives me crazy that that seems to be his "cure all" for everything. I don't believe in a one size fits all for anything, but especially food. And I know I am not the only one to have voiced this "issue".
I have never claimed that a raw diet will cure everything but it will cure a lot of things and bad breath is one of them. You presented a problem and I gave you the solution and you can take it or not. I really don't care. Your dog has bacteria in its mouth or upper GI tract (most commonly mouth). Brushing teeth a few times a week is not fixing it. Neither is feeding a bone a couple of times a month. Nothing else you have tried has fixed it. A raw diet WILL. I don't really care what you feed your dog. I don't care if she has bad breath or not. You presented the problem I gave you the solution. I don't understand what you are all in a tizzy about.

She gets her teeth brused and raw bones.
Brushing teeth and an occasional bone obviously won't do the trick. Remember you probably brush your own teeth twice a day and probably also use a mouth wash. It's really not practiclal to do all that with a dog.

If you brushed your teeth a couple of times a week, I can guarantee you would have bad breath also. :smile: :smile:

We're not sure if it's possibly her meds and/or supplements, we thought it was too much fish oil so I cut back and eventually omitted but it hasn't fixed the problem.
If it were meds and/or supplements causing the bad breath, it would get worse just after taking them and get better an hour or so later. I bet its not doing that.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have never claimed that a raw diet will cure everything but it will cure a lot of things and bad breath is one of them. You presented a problem and I gave you the solution and you can take it or not. I really don't care. Your dog has bacteria in its mouth or upper GI tract (most commonly mouth). Brushing teeth a few times a week is not fixing it. Neither is feeding a bone a couple of times a month. Nothing else you have tried has fixed it. A raw diet WILL. I don't really care what you feed your dog. I don't care if she has bad breath or not. You presented the problem I gave you the solution. I don't understand what you are all in a tizzy about.

Brushing teeth and an occasional bone obviously won't do the trick. Remember you probably brush your own teeth twice a day and probably also use a mouth wash. It's really not practiclal to do all that with a dog.

If you brushed your teeth a couple of times a week, I can guarantee you would have bad breath also. :smile: :smile:

If it were meds and/or supplements causing the bad breath, it would get worse just after taking them and get better an hour or so later. I bet its not doing that.
Except she takes her meds and supplements multiple times a day, it isn't a once or twice a day deal, they are all spaced out because some can't be given with food, some have to be given with food, none can be given with psyllium, some can't be given together, some it doesn't matter, some SHOULD be given together. The dog takes around 18-20 pills a day (no joke), so yeah I'm typically giving her meds throughout the day.

*and just as a side note, I personally do not use mouth wash no, however I do brush my teeth twice daily, sometimes once if I'm really tired and want to go to bed faster*

·
Registered
417 Posts
Usually bad breath has oral causes, yes. Though sometimes it can be caused by other disease processes. These could be:
# Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums)
# Periodontitis (inflammation of the tissue that surrounds the tooth)
# Abscessed tooth or teeth
# Bone or hair stuck in mouth
# Oral ulceration
# Foreign bodies in the mouth (such as plant mater)

Since you don't think it's the meds or supplements since she has been taking them for so long, and you brush her teeth and all, perhaps it's one of these things. I really hope you figure it out. Icky dog breath is . . . well, just that. Icky! lol

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Usually bad breath has oral causes, yes. Though sometimes it can be caused by other disease processes. These could be:
# Gingivitis (inflammation of the gums)
# Periodontitis (inflammation of the tissue that surrounds the tooth)
# Abscessed tooth or teeth
# Bone or hair stuck in mouth
# Oral ulceration
# Foreign bodies in the mouth (such as plant mater)

Since you don't think it's the meds or supplements since she has been taking them for so long, and you brush her teeth and all, perhaps it's one of these things. I really hope you figure it out. Icky dog breath is . . . well, just that. Icky! lol

Well she's been checked by the vet multiple times (she goes every 3 months), these are things that would be seen or caught by a professional. It may very well be her supplements, yes she's been taking them but we doubled doses for almost all of them at the beginning of the year.

Going to buy some parsley tomorrow as I've had quite a few people tell me it works wonders.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Waht do you mean detox?
I've heard of people doing detox things for their dogs to get all the crap out of their body that's causing the problem. Usually it involves restricting food, supplements, etc. for a while to just clear it all out, but with all those meds and everything, and her being a general hungry dog, I'm guessing that won't go over too well with her. I know people say dogs go through a detox process when they switch from a crap food to an all natural one or kibble to home coooked/raw (but you're on Natural Balance and don't want to change that).

Just something to clear out the system, kinda like wiping the slate clean and trying again. But like I said, with all those meds, that would make de-tox darn near impossible, so never mind.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts