Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my 5 month old pit RMB for a month now. Mainly chicken quarters and turkey necks ( it's taking her quite some time to get used to raw). And one thing I have noticed is the change in her breath. Now I heard people speak of the advantages of raw, and one of those was better breath. Now my pup didn't have bad breath to begin with because she still had faint puppy breath. But now her breath smells horrible. Yes, it is better than many other older dogs on kibble, but her breath now smells like old raw chicken! Not pleasant! Any advice on sometghing naturaul to help her breath?
thanks Hart!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't have any specific advice since neither of my dogs have consistently bad breath, but two things to consider.

1. Are you sure it's her breath, and not meat juice stuck to her fur around her mouth and chin? Some dogs are messy eaters and end up with quite a mess around their mouth, which might give off an odor.

2. One thing I've noticed about my dogs is that if I feed them the same kind of meat too many days in a row, they start to take on the smell of the meat. Not just their breath, but also their skin, and their poop. It's faint, but it's there. Pork is the worst, leaving a slightly metallic (for lack of a better description) smell behind. The solution has been to make sure I rotate their meats often, usually not more than 3 days on the same type of meat. It also helps to introduce some larger bones that they have to spend time chewing on, like beef ribs. The variety of meat sources seems to keep the smell down so this problem may solve itself when you're able to introduce new and different meats to her diet.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Bad breath is caused by bacteria in the mouth or stomach ... usually the mouth. Most all dogs go from terrible breath on kibble to no smell whatsoever on raw. That was my experience and that of most others as per posts on here and other board.

Check around in her mouth to see if any food particles stuck there for some reason. Eating things boney like chicken quarters and turkey necks SHOULD clean the mouth, teeth, and gums. I can feed my dogs rotten food and their breath is still odorless. Perhaps its garbage around their mouth like JayJayisme says. I don't know. I've only heard of this happening a couple of times in 9 years spent on multiple discussion boards.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Puppies get terrible breath when they are losing their baby teeth, so I'm guessing that is the problem. Don't worry, it will go away

·
Registered
107 Posts
Puppies can have rank breath with all the teething they go through. Keep that in mind. My dogs breath went from nasty smelling to fairly good. We can tolerate the kisses much better now:biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts