Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we have been on Raw for about 3 weeks now, and because of prices, I have only been feeding chicken. Just haven't pulled anything else out yet.

Baby had her annual Vet appointment, (no heartworm or lyme thank goodness!) But the Vet didn't like her allergy symptoms. Eye stains, yeast infection in both ears, rust colored feet from licking, and dragging her butt around. Now, I know that she is getting enough bone, because her poo turns white quickly.

I told him what I was was feeding, and he said she could be allergic to chicken because she is getting worse.

He wanted to put her on a special kibble, (don't know the name because I didn't buy it) limited ingredients, and has potato and venison, for a food trial for one month.
I told him I needed to do some more research and would get back to him by Friday.

Can a dog be allergic to chicken? And should I just switch to her to the venison I have in my freezer to see if she starts improving?

Also, her ideal weight should be around 10 lbs, and she was 17.5 lbs, and has started losing weight since the switch, I can't imagine how much she weighed before!:rolleyes:

I don't want to give up Raw yet, but need some input about her issues!
Thanks in advance!

(Man I haven't typed that much in a while!):eek:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Baby had her annual Vet appointment, (no heartworm or lyme thank goodness!) But the Vet didn't like her allergy symptoms. Eye stains, yeast infection in both ears, rust colored feet from licking, and dragging her butt around. Now, I know that she is getting enough bone, because her poo turns white quickly.
Did she have these symptoms before going raw? How long? Are her stools solid and firm? If so and she's still dragging her butt around, did the vet check anal glands? What did he say about them?

I told him what I was was feeding, and he said she could be allergic to chicken because she is getting worse.
Do you think she is getting worse or is that just what he said?

Can a dog be allergic to chicken?
It's possible but not likely.

And should I just switch to her to the venison I have in my freezer to see if she starts improving?
You could try feeding venison to see what happens. I would introduce it slowly by feeding just a very little with some chicken and gradually feeding more and more venison and less and less chicken.

Also, her ideal weight should be around 10 lbs, and she was 17.5 lbs, and has started losing weight since the switch, I can't imagine how much she weighed before!
Cool. :)

I don't want to give up Raw yet, but need some input about her issues!
Thanks in advance!
Don't give up on raw yet. These things can be handled.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She did have one eye with the tear stains, but now both have it. She also, in the past has had ear infections, but not for a while, then she started the scratching thing.
While she was on kibble, she was dragging her butt, but then I added pumpkin to her kibble and that was greatly reduced. Especially when I started RMBs with it. Now, it is bad again. Yes, he checked her glands, and did express, but said that they were not compacted.
Her poo is firm and she has no problem with that.
I do think that things have gotten worse for her, but I thought that it was just the change, and it will improve. That is the reason I didn't want to buy his kibble.
I have unthawed some venison for her, and will do a half chicken half venison thing for the next week. No organ meats of venison for at least next week.
I hope that she improves, I really like doing Raw and my boy Rex has no problems whatsoever. I see grand improvements with him!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have unthawed some venison for her, and will do a half chicken half venison thing for the next week. No organ meats of venison for at least next week.
No, use 1/4 venison and 3/4 chicken for a week, then half and half then 3/4 - 1/4 the next week. No deer organs for a month. Truthfully she may do ok on the schedule you proposed. I am just more cautious. When you have 2 Great Danes, you go to great lengths to prevent diarrhea and vomiting. :smile:

Remove the skin from the chicken for a while to see if that helps. Have you fed ANYTHING else except chicken the last 3 weeks?

I hope that she improves, I really like doing Raw and my boy Rex has no problems whatsoever. I see grand improvements with him!!
She will improve. Don't worry. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There has been no diarrea or vomiting, but I will still do the half and half, as I think that if it is an allergic reaction to chicken, then at least it should calm a bit. She has had some bone in the past, without problems, (venison) so I am hoping that I can help her.

I found out that we have a deer breeder in town. The deer don't look like ordinary deer, they are white looking, and have at least one floppy ear. I have asked him if I can buy for cheap left overs for what people do. He is more than happy to supply me for a price, but cheap, almost as cheap as chicken.

i don't know what I will do yet, just checking things, and I must say, she wasn't bothered by the venison she got so far. Which wasn't much. She had mostly chicken.

·
Registered
417 Posts
All that stuff, though maybe not as full blown as now, were occuring while I was there way before you started raw. Her feet were rust colored from licking, dragging her butt as her "trick", scratching her yeasty ears, and the eye stains. Yeah worse in one eye than the other, but there nonetheless. I doubt it's an allergic reaction though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From all my research, it is all due to allergies. I just am not sure what to do about it yet.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, it has been just a week now, and she is on half and half. No organ venison as of yet, but still no problems with bowels, which I glad about.
It seems that her allergies are not as bad, but of course, it could still be environmental, as we have had some major freezes, so that may have helped also.

I will just hope that she is not really allergic to chicken, and try to introduce more venison since I have that, slowly over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts