Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two pets, one is a Manx and the other is an Aussie rescue.
The Aussie (Angel) is about 5 or 6 years old. She does have hip dysplasia and the vet is giving her tramadol as needed for that. We also found out a few years ago that she has a "sensitive system" and her vet prescribed Royal Canin Prescription Diet for Sensitive Systems which she has been on since then. She is 40 lbs and doing well except that she has developed stomach problems over the last few months which she didn't have before.
She will occasionally have diarrhea with a strong fishy smell. Sometimes she throws up a watery substance that also has a similar strong fishy smell and the flatulence she has been producing lately not only smells fishy but is about to blow the roof off of the house. Her stomach gurgles and rumbles a lot and I feel like she must be uncomfortable, so after an accident yesterday and throwing up her breakfast today, we fed her no Royal Canin tonight. Instead we gave her some chicken and rice. She gobbled it down and so far I have not heard any "strange stomach complaints" or smelled anything fishy (so to speak).
I really think that we need to change her food, but our vet is sold on this special diet and we have no idea how to find something more appropriate or how to change her over. She is very special to us and we would appreciate any and all advice. Also, we have no experience with hip dysplasia either and we would like to think we are doing all we can to help her, but any suggestions in that area would be appreciated also :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
First of all, welcome! Second, vets will prescribe "their" food to make money and keep you coming back. The more of that you feed, the more issues you will have and continually keep vet bills. Kibble isn't natural to a dogs system, and some just don't do well with it. My suggestion is for you to go with raw. You will start with bone in chicken which is bland and easy to digest. I'm on my phone at the moment, so I can't post links but check out preymodelraw.com. There is a great getting started guide on there. Also, join in the discussions in the raw forums and ask tons of questions! We love to help!

Reactions: CatsNjammer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, on my way to work now but will check that out when I get home. I had a nagging suspicion that might be the case but am new to dog problems, I am so glad I joined and I love your pups! Nice that another Alabamian posted a response and welcome first! Thanks again and I will investigate :thumb:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Taking her to the vet would be best so that her condition will be properly assessed and she can be recommended with the appropriate diet.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
A vet is just going to recommend a kibble that they sell in their office. Probably Science Diet, which couldn't be anymore inappropriate, considering how little knowledge vets have about nutrition.

Reactions: CatsNjammer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have been in the vet's office so many times with her that they think we live there and they DO just recommend one of their sensitive system dog foods which produced the symptoms listed above. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude in any way, but with the issues that Angel has, we feel like we pay the vet's rent every month any way. When we took her off the vet recommended food her tummy was instantly better. At that point I came to the forum. But, naturally, we would normally take her to the vet for any major issue like this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, as of typing time.....she is better, no accidents, no gas and no vomiting. It looks like we will be buying her food from the holistic dog food place next to whole foods, but it is turning out (so far anyway) to be much less expensive than the vet's food combined with all the vet bills. Thank you all and especially my neighbor in Talladega. It is a huge improvement!! :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Good for you for ditching the vet food! All the vet foods are loaded with grains, even corn, wheat, and soy, which cause sensitive system dogs problems, ironic, since that's who they're designed for... I'd recommend a good, grain free food, such as Acana or Fromm. California Natural makes some grain free, limited ingredient choices, as well. Some dogs do better with a lower protein food. My boxer Dempsey does well on kibble with protein less than 30%, but gets loose stools with higher protein kibbles (even when fed the correct amount). Overfeeding a grain free food can cause loose stools.

Every dog is different, so be patient. You'll have to experiment to see what works with your dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts