Dog Food Chat banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
cprcheetah, the vet prescribed Rimadyl, but it does not seem to be working! Now he's just lying down and refusing to stand even to eat. He tries to stand up, howls terribly in pain, so he gives up and tries to catch his breath. I gave him Rimadyl, but the pain seems to worsen. I can't bear it, I feel so helpless. His crying is so painful to hear. :(
How long has he been on it? If he's been on it for a while, you might want to ask your vet about adding Tramadol to the mix. The link I posted above has lots of ideas on what you can do to relieve their pain. I have been in your shoes a lot, I had a great dane who needed a hip replacement surgery by age 1, however we could never get him healthy enough to go through surgery and he died due to other health issues at 18 months.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
cprcheetah, the vet prescribed Rimadyl, but it does not seem to be working! Now he's just lying down and refusing to stand even to eat. He tries to stand up, howls terribly in pain, so he gives up and tries to catch his breath. I gave him Rimadyl, but the pain seems to worsen. I can't bear it, I feel so helpless. His crying is so painful to hear. :(
Can you call the vet? That sounds terrible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know my mum used to give her rotweiler/golden retriever mix ester C for her joints after finding out what caused her pain. It did work for her, but as with all supplements I wouldn't make it a lifelong treatment but maybe worth trying when it's really bad to see if it helps?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.