Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just following up on these two threads detailing my search for the elusive high-quality, commercial food that is compatible with my dogs...

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/dry-canned-dog-food/1451-hills-prescription-diet.html

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/dog-food-ingredients/1464-trader-joes-premium-canned-dog-food.html

About 5 days ago I started them on Artemis Fresh Mix dry food. I became acquainted with the product through samples I received from an Artemis rep that was giving stuff away one day at my local "designer dog food" store. I'm not much for "holistic" products and, frankly, that aspect of this product had little to do with my interest in it.

What was interesting is that when I gave my dogs a sample package of the Fresh Mix to see if they liked it, they absolutely couldn't get enough of it. At the time I had them on Wellness Super 5 Mix puppy food and I was still evaluating it but I decided to try the Fresh Mix if the Wellness didn't work out just because they loved it so much. So five days ago, that is what I did.

The first couple days on the Fresh Mix were a little dodgy. Both dogs were quite gassy and their stools were a bit watery. But by the third day, just about when the Wellness was at only about 10% of the "transition mix" I was giving them, they got better and since then everything has been perfect. Yesterday was the first day they got 100% Fresh Mix (no Wellness mixed in).

They are happy, active, gas-free, and their stools are perfectly soft but not runny. Both of them! I know it's a little early to claim success but so far, so good. Oh, and I don't need to give them a canned topper since they both like this food so much as-is.

The Fresh Mix is a bit lower in protein (23% versus 28%) than the Innova and Wellness foods I originally had them on. The fat and calories is a bit lower as well. In other words, it seems a little less rich and easier for them to tolerate than the higher protein/calorie options from Innova and Wellness that I tried first. I suspected all along that the super-rich foods were a problem for both of them, no matter how much or how little I gave them. So this seems to be a good compromise (so far). BTW, it cost $37.99 for 30 lbs. at the pet food store where I normally shop.

Here's the ingredient list and nutrition information for this food in case anyone is interested.

Artemis Fresh Mix Ingredients

Chicken, Chicken meal, Turkey, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Millet, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Potatoes, Duck, Salmon, Egg Product, Flaxseed, Natural Chicken Flavor, Salmon Oil (a source of DHA), Salmon Meal, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Kelp, Carrots, Apples, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Spinach, Dried Skim Milk, Cranberry Powder, Rosemary Extract, Parsley Flake, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Barley Grass Extract, L-Carnitine, Enterococcus Faecieum, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Saccharomyces Cerevesiae Fermentation Solubles, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement , Folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein, min. 23.0%
Crude Fat, min. 14.0%
Crude Fiber, max. 3.0%
Moisture, max. 10.0%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, min.* 2.2%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, min.* 0.4%
DHA (Docosohexaenoic Acid) min.* 0.05%

Calorie Contents Calculated

ME - 3,595 kcal/kg
337 kcal/cup (8oz. Cup)

Here is a link to the Artemis web site.

Artemis - Holistic Approach to Pet Food

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and information you've provided in our rather lively discussions. :biggrin:

I will continue to provide feedback on this and other products I give to my dogs (good or bad) in the hopes that the information is useful to someone here at some point. In the mean time, thanks again to everyone for their help and for sharing information on this topic.

Jay

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well congrats!! I am glad you found something that works for your dogs... so far. :) I hope all continues to go well with this! Thanks for the info. Some of us will keep it in mind when we go back to the pet store. :)

L

·
0 Posts
I have also in the past received a few sample packages of Artemis Fresh Mix and my dogs liked it just fine, their stools were fine, matter of fact, my dogs will eat whatever I put in front of them! But I'm glad your dogs are doing so well on the Artemis.
Best Wishes!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My dogs at one point also in my food rotation have had artemis and done well on this brand. I have not gotten this in a while now though! Thanks for the info again! Have to put this back on the rotation list!:smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts