1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ground lamb 5# $15.00
Bones $1.00/#
Dozen duck eggs $4.00

I am to new to raw to know if these are good prices or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ground lamb 5# $15.00
Bones $1.00/#
Dozen duck eggs $4.00

I've never bought any of those but I'm sure you don't want to pay $1/# for bones. You really don't want bones at any price. You want animal parts that contain bones.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ground lamb 5# $15.00
Bones $1.00/#
Dozen duck eggs $4.00

The ground lamb seems like a good price, but for the others I don't really know. I second though that you don't really want to pay that much for bones when you can get them in with meat for like 40 cents a pound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ground lamb 5# $15.00
Bones $1.00/#
Dozen duck eggs $4.00
I buy a ground lamb product that includes muscle meat, lamb heart & liver for $2.75 per lb; so $3 is pretty close but doesn't include the organ meat.

For the bones are they recreational bones or raw meaty bones? Mine only get recreational bones maybe twice a month and I usually buy beef or buffalo and I pay a little over $1 per lb

I've never bought duck eggs, but seems a bit pricey compared to chicken eggs.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
are you grinding the bones for the ground lamb?

what kind of bones are these?

i think ground lamb here is 5.99 per pound....

we don't buy bones separately, so i don't know about that....

i've never bought duck eggs, so i don't know about that, either....

how long have you been feeding raw now?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are recreational bones and what's the difference w/other types of bones?
I'm still researching raw feeding.. sorry

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
What are recreational bones and what's the difference w/other types of bones?
I'm still researching raw feeding.. sorry
"Recreational bones" in the general sense is any kind of bone that will keep a dog busy for hours on end. Basically something to occupy their time so they don't chew on things they shouldn't. Typically these bones are not "edible" since they are too dense/heavy to actually be ingested.

Raw meaty bones (RMBs) are exactly that, bones surrounded in raw meat. They are mostly meat with some bone that is completely edible. These types of bones actually make up a large part of a raw diet.

The only "rec bone" that we feed and recommend to others are beef ribs. The bones are dense enough to last, but not so dense that they are capable of breaking teeth. They keep our dogs busy for a while and we replace them once a week or two with fresh ones.

I don't recommend feeding traditional rec bones because they are typically weight bearing bones from larger animals (knuckle or marrow bones). These bones are designed to carry around 1000+ pounds and are very dense. They can and often do break teeth. Broken teeth are not good because they can abscess and be very painful for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts