Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to give a number that represented the amount of different proteins in a month that you try to reach in your dogs diet what would it be? Basically, what is the appropriate amount of variety in a dogs diet?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ideally you want to shoot for as many different meats as possible. However, I've heard that even just feeding one with some organs is still better than a processed food. My husky currently only gets chicken and organs, and he's done better than when he was on kibble.

On the other side, my garbage disposal Boston gets a rotation of chicken, turkey, beef, pork, lamb, eggs, organs, and soon to be some form of fish.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
If you had to give a number that represented the amount of different proteins in a month that you try to reach in your dogs diet what would it be? Basically, what is the appropriate amount of variety in a dogs diet?
There is no specific number. I think it would depend on what you feed. If I could feed only one protein source it would definately be deer. Feeding nothing but chicken would be much better than feeding kibble but not the ideal. Would he be missing any nutrients if you fed nothing but chicken? I don't know what they would be. I do know there is no specific number of protein sources that I have ever seen named.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What I'm planning to feed my dog is like this monthly.
Fish (50%) (about 5 varieties)
Chicken (30%)
Pork (10%)
Beef (10%)

plus organs and 2 eggs per week. With this plan I can keep the price around $1/lb.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I feed chicken, turkey, pork, beef, lamb, goat, talapia, bass, carp, canned mackeral, canned salmon, pork heart, beef heart, chicken liver, beef liver, and beef kidney on a regular basis.

That being said, I think that bone in chicken and liver only is still superior to any kibble.

I would jsut say aim for as much variety as you can. If that's 15 sources. Great. It it's only two, then that's still better than kibble.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I try to do at least three different protein sources weekly, but more than that monthly. About three days a week they get chicken, the other days are either turkey, pork, beef, organs, tripe, eggs, and/or mackerel.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I feed as many protein sources as I can lay my hands on. When you start to raw feed your dogs it becomes a hobby to explore all the options you have to getting meat that you would never have thought of before. Even if you can only feed a few of the mainstream proteins on a regular basis doesn't mean you can't add some more of the expensive or exotic meats in once a month. If you're not a member of a co-op I highly suggest that you do. We get all kinds of cool stuff for our kids from them and can also be a good resource for information.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I feed as many protein sources as I can lay my hands on. When you start to raw feed your dogs it becomes a hobby to explore all the options you have to getting meat that you would never have thought of before. Even if you can only feed a few of the mainstream proteins on a regular basis doesn't mean you can't add some more of the expensive or exotic meats in once a month. If you're not a member of a co-op I highly suggest that you do. We get all kinds of cool stuff for our kids from them and can also be a good resource for information.
i know the staples will be chicken, turkey, beef, fish, lamb, pork and eggs.

the 'when i can get them foods' will include the llama i'm picking up today, goat, bison, rabbit, venison, and other goodies that the co op comes up with...

it depends on my wallet and how they tolerate the foods.

i should think that you have to look at what you can afford and shop sales, look for co ops in your area, maybe get to know your local farmer or butcher....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for you help! I know you are supposed to feed as much variety as possible but its good to have a general idea of what everyone else is feeding. The more and more I feed raw the more and more I like it. At first I thought this is too hard I might switch back, but I was just worrying too much. After seeing her eat real food and seeing how much better she looks I just don't think I can go back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts