Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just registered for eHarmony, just looking for any advice or success/horror stories! I know 1 or 2 people that have met their significant other from an online site and are happily married.
Since I don't go out, ever, I figured I may as well give it a try :redface: seeing as my dating history is laughable.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well, I met my husband online, but not on a dating site. It was on a dog related chat forum much like this one!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I also know a few people who have successfully met people online and they ended up happily married, including my mom. I don't have a ton of advice except to try to chat it up with the person before you meet and just approach it like you would any other date. The nice thing about online dating is, with profiles and online chatting, you can get to know the person a bit more and know some of their expectations before you meet. Which I think is a pretty good advantage.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hoping to get a good experience from this so I can finally convince my mother to try it ;) I just hate the thought of her being all alone once my sister and her husband/kids finally move out on their own. Although I know she will enjoy the peace and quiet for a while, she needs someone that will take care of her while we are away!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I have a friend who tried eharmony, and they couldn't find her anybody. But, you just have to know her-she's a one and only! LOL! Maybe it will work out for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I met my wife via Myspace, when it was popular. I was 20 at the time, she was 18. We've been together since 2006 and got married in 2011. One morning after work, decided to get on and search local single females. Decided to randomly add her, as her interest and personality seemed alike. We messaged, met up, went on a few dates and here we are. My intention was to just find female friends and see where things go. I always had the mindset of, just giving everything a chance. So in the end, you don't end up with "What if".

I went to a college where there was only a handful of females (IT school). Then to top it off, I worked at FedEx; where majority were also men lol... So finding someone was a challenge, as most of the girls I met; didn't work out or just ended being friends.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome to hear Jon!

I have similar problems. I work full-time and when not working, I am always at home working on the house and never ending tasks. I don't really ever go out and the few people I have met were friends of a friend or someone my brother-in-law introduced me to, and let's just say their crowd isn't what I am looking for.

So far, the few days I have been on the site have been interesting. I am super picky though. Right now Im just entertaining myself by the majority and crazy matches I get. So far, no 'keepers' haha

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I've used it in the past ( okcupid is free and it matches you to the person with shared interests based on the questions you answer), it can be fun. Word of advice, meet in a public place until you know the person well enough, there's a lot of weirdos out there.

·
Registered
927 Posts
In a sense I've used one. They posted some of their contact info on a dating site and I was able to contact them without having to go through the membership process. For me, it wouldn't work. I'm the type of person who hates filling out surveys about myself and what I'm looking for. I think the fact of being willing to sign up for dating site and fill out the surveys already identifies a part of your personality and possibly your level of commitment to a relationship.

If I were looking for a date/ dates I'd pick up a new hobby or practice a currently one with a group of strangers that already have established meetings/clubs. If I don't get a date out of it then I will at the very least make a few more friends and friends have a higher percent chance of lasting. Not to mention getting a chance of enjoying whatever it is I might enjoy with others who have similar interest. That being said, I've known a lot of people who had success using a dating site. Despite all of that I'd only do it if it was something I would want to do and feel comfortable about actually trying and following through the process that they set up for me, otherwise it would be a waste of money.

If I am ever single again I think it would be interested to give speed dating a try for a chance to meet new people. To me, it seems like fun getting a chance to vent through so many people in a short amount of time until I found the one who had me at "hello".

·
Registered
423 Posts
My husband and I met via PlentyOfFish. Funny thing was upon viewing his profile, I thought "He looks like an asshole". But something was telling me to message him. I messaged him and haven't gone back to the site since we started dating. We hit it off right away.

I think dating sites are a great idea. For someone like me, I'm not a looker and I am incredibly shy. Even when I mustered the courage to ask out a random guy in public, it didn't help me when I got turned down.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My mom met, dated, and eventually married a man that she met on Match.com. They dated for almost 4 years and 3 months after they were married, she filed for a divorce. Turns out he never removed himself from the website (and other sites he was on) and had been dating/sleeping with other women the entire time that he was with my mom.

Total sleezeball and one who is lucky I've never run into him on the street. 8 years later, I'm still pretty pissed about everything he put her through.

That's not to say that all people are like that. I've met plenty of people from the internet, "dating websites" or not. I actually met my boyfriend on a local forum. I've met a ton of my friends on forums. I have no problems meeting people from the internet, but you asked for horror stories. :tongue1:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think its hard to lay a blanket statement on them... I mean, if you met the love of your life on one and everything worked out wonderfully, you are probably a big fan of them. On the other hand, if you go out and meet a real "tool" on them, you probably won't give such a glowing endorsement.

I will say this... I don't think a bad date on one necessarily means they are bad.

I know a bunch of people who have used them with good luck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I realized that I didn't want to end up with my own 'horror story'...that and there really are not any decent guys on there that reside anywhere near me. I think I will stick with my solo life and enjoy my canine company ;) haha.

·
Registered
908 Posts
What's that quote? "Better to have loved and lost, than not to have loved at all." I met my hubby in high school, BUT my bff from high school used eharmony and she met her hubby on there after a few failed relationships from having met IRL. Her hubby is a great guy.
Another friend used the same service and they ended up divorcing, I think they were both so desperate to 'have someone' at the time but they really had nothing else in common. <shrugs>
You just have to try it and see.
But then, in another life, I could see it being just me and my dogs ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I heard from the radio the other day that more and more marriages today come from online dating. I haven't tried ít myself (married), but I do think it might be a great way to meet somebody. For one, you can easily find people who share the same interests.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, this thread is so old, by the way, anyone into Tinder? Lol I encounter a lot of people like me back, but sometimes I feel it is just a bot or something, I do not know I feel like too good to be true because of too beautiful to like me back, but still, there are a lot of genuine people there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts