Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a homemade grain-free recipe for dog treats. But I can't find any online that are actually grain-free. Does anyone have any? Or can I substitute whole wheat flour (or other flour) with something like tapioca flour?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Quite a few people on here make their own dehydrated meats for their dogs which you can do on a low oven for a few hours. I however either buy Ziwi Peak dried venison treats which are tiny and last for months or I make my own. They are not grain free however and contain oats which I have posted on here somewhere.
I don't see why you couldn't use either sweet potato and yes tapioca or rice flour would work, as long as you don't need the gluten. Often a carbohydrate is included to help 'bind' everything together. I am not paranoid about giving my dog grains in treats but don't feed them as part of his normal food.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I dehydrate boneless meats and organs for mine at home as treats. Not only do I not trust commercial treats, but I don't like all the added ingredients either. They aren't needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quite a few people on here make their own dehydrated meats for their dogs which you can do on a low oven for a few hours. I however either buy Ziwi Peak dried venison treats which are tiny and last for months or I make my own. They are not grain free however and contain oats which I have posted on here somewhere.
I don't see why you couldn't use either sweet potato and yes tapioca or rice flour would work, as long as you don't need the gluten. Often a carbohydrate is included to help 'bind' everything together. I am not paranoid about giving my dog grains in treats but don't feed them as part of his normal food.
Thanks. I just don't want to give my dog too many grains. He already has some training treats that have grains in them and I'm worried he may be allergic to them. I've noticed around his eyes is starting to get red. Which is what was going on when I first got him and he was on very low-quality dog food.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I dehydrate beef liver and pork.
you can dehydrate just about any boneless meats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts