Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female dog has had issuses forever it seems. She is always wanting too mount my arm. I say NO but then she just rolls around and makes strange noises at me. She is spayed. What can be the problem? Please help me help her. Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
628 Posts
My female dog has had issuses forever it seems. She is always wanting too mount my arm. I say NO but then she just rolls around and makes strange noises at me. She is spayed. What can be the problem? Please help me help her. Thanks:confused:

Typically mounting is a dominance thing if it isn't for mating purposes.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Your dogs is telling you she is the alpha bitch in the pack and you are subordinate to her. Google the term "NILIF" (Nothing In Live Is Free) and you will see how to correct this behavior. It basically tells you how to regain alpha status yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I understand all about the alpha dog thing. This is not that. As she has been trained since I got her at 7 weeks. I did alot of training with her. And watched all of Ceasers CD's. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ok. I understand all about the alpha dog thing. This is not that. As she has been trained since I got her at 7 weeks. I did alot of training with her. And watched all of Ceasers CD's. Any other ideas?
No, it definately is that. Throw Cesar's CD's away. They are obviously not helping you as I could have told you before you bought them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry your having a bad day. I have a call into my Vet. Hope things look better for you. And I have 3 dogs. And these Cds have worked great.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would ditch calling the vet and contact either a trainer or a behaviorist. Your dog's issue isn't medical. And just because your dog is trained, doesn't mean that she isn't trying to be alpha in the house. If you do not practice this all of the time and let her get away with things it doesn't matter how well trained she is, she will still consider herself the alpha. It isn't a medical problem. Animals mount for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only, mating and dominance, considering she is fixed, it's obviously the latter of the 2. Rawfed may have been a bit rude, but he is 200% right on this one in that she's exhibiting alpha behavior and where I personally like Cesar as well, his techniques as with any technique does not work with all dogs all of the time especially when it is being interpreted by someone else. And just because your other dogs don't do this doesn't mean anything, this one could just have a more dominant personality. It isn't medical it's behavioral. Get with a trainer or license behaviorist.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Animals mount for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only, mating and dominance.
I completely disagree with this. This is an opinion not a fact. My dog is the least dominant dog I know. I've watched her with other dogs and I've seen her attempt to mount them. From my observations it is simply her way of initiating play. This may have nothing to do with the OP's situation, but I disagree with the above-mentioned statement.
That's not to say that it's not possible that the problem with the OP's dog is a dominance issue, but I don't believe you can just make blanket statements like this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW.. I guess you know it all. I'll let you know what the VET. say's. Oh and She was trained.. Go figure. Smile

·
Registered
628 Posts
I completely disagree with this. This is an opinion not a fact. My dog is the least dominant dog I know. I've watched her with other dogs and I've seen her attempt to mount them. From my observations it is simply her way of initiating play. This may have nothing to do with the OP's situation, but I disagree with the above-mentioned statement.
That's not to say that it's not possible that the problem with the OP's dog is a dominance issue, but I don't believe you can just make blanket statements like this.
This is typically only in younger dogs. And be careful with your dog doing this as this being done with an older dog will get the younger dog's butt handed to them. The only dogs I've ever seen do this in play were under 12 months, and when it was done to an older dog it broke out into a fight until the younger dog sumitted. It's typically only play in the younger doggie world, once they're older, it is dominance related...and it's almost always dominance related if the dog is doing it to a human and IMO should not be tolerated. And to not listen to people telling you this is IMO, burying his/her head in the sand. It isn't a medical condition, again whether it's play, dominance, mating, whatever it isn't medical therefore a trainer or behaviorist to come to her home and see the action to verify what is going on and give tips to fix it is a smarter choice than wasting money at the vet's office.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wasting money.. I feel sorry for you. This is a very sweet dog. Not a mean bone in her body. It is never a wast of money too take care of her. If the VET. says training and I know she won't knowing my dogs. Then So be it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is typically only in younger dogs. And be careful with your dog doing this as this being done with an older dog will get the younger dog's butt handed to them. The only dogs I've ever seen do this in play were under 12 months, and when it was done to an older dog it broke out into a fight until the younger dog sumitted. It's typically only play in the younger doggie world, once they're older, it is dominance related...and it's almost always dominance related if the dog is doing it to a human and IMO should not be tolerated. And to not listen to people telling you this is IMO, burying his/her head in the sand. It isn't a medical condition, again whether it's play, dominance, mating, whatever it isn't medical therefore a trainer or behaviorist to come to her home and see the action to verify what is going on and give tips to fix it is a smarter choice than wasting money at the vet's office.
My dog is 5 years old and was likely never socialized. She does it to initiate play, period. I do keep a close eye on her when she is doing it. I realize not all dogs like it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Wasting money.. I feel sorry for you. This is a very sweet dog. Not a mean bone in her body. It is never a wast of money too take care of her. If the VET. says training and I know she won't knowing my dogs. Then So be it.
Sweetie, I am not having a bad day. I only get agravated whan a novice dog owner has a simple problem like this and refuses to listen to reason no matter how many people tell her she is wrong.

I was training dogs when CM was still in diapers. There are probably 10,000 better trainers in the US. I know A LOT of knowledgable trainers and not one of them condones CM's overbearing methods of intimidation, force, and coersion.

Vets would send dogs like this to me. Vets, for the most part, don't know how to train a dog and don't know a lot about canine behavior. This is not a difficult problem to solve but you can't do it by watching a DVD. If you follow my advice from my previous post, you will be able to handle this without a trainer.

And yes it is often a BIG waste of money to take a dog to a vet. This is one of those times.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Dominance is not being mean. My dog is a dominant dog, not a mean bone in his body, but he is dominant with other dogs and tried it with us when he was itty bitty. It's wasting money when it isn't a medical problem yes. Don't feel sorry for me because I have common sense. And FYI vets typically don't know much about dog training or behavior. Does your family doctor know much about psychology? Probably not. Not much difference. If you didn't want opinions then why in the heck did you post? Obviously you already know what it is so why are you here???

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sweetie, I am not having a bad day. I only get agravated whan a novice dog owner has a simple problem like this and refuses to listen to reason no matter how many people tell her she is wrong.

I was training dogs when CM was still in diapers. There are probably 10,000 better trainers in the US. I know A LOT of knowledgable trainers and not one of them condones CM's overbearing methods of intimidation, force, and coersion.

Vets would send dogs like this to me. Vets, for the most part, don't know how to train a dog and don't know a lot about canine behavior. This is not a difficult problem to solve but you can't do it by watching a DVD. If you follow my advice from my previous post, you will be able to handle this without a trainer.

And yes it is often a BIG waste of money to take a dog to a vet. This is one of those times.

Wow, for once I have to say I agree with RawFedDogs...well not 100% but 90% anyway :).

Well said. Seriously though I would like to know why people ask a question and then when people (more than 1) are giving the same answer their response is "no it's not that". Well if you knew what it was you wouldn't be asking the question so why are you so quick to say that's not it if you don't know???? Being dominant is not being mean or unsweet or anything else, it's simply being the leader. I know plenty of human leaders who are sweet as can be depending on who they are around. And as I said in my post above, to take a dog to a vet and pay money on an issue that is not a medical issue yes it is a waste of money, put that money towards a trainer or behaviorist who can actually help with the problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My dogs do this while playing, and they are all over 5 years old. Even the one who's lowest in the pack. I guess he forgot to read the manual.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dominance is not being mean. My dog is a dominant dog, not a mean bone in his body, but he is dominant with other dogs and tried it with us when he was itty bitty. It's wasting money when it isn't a medical problem yes. Don't feel sorry for me because I have common sense. And FYI vets typically don't know much about dog training or behavior. Does your family doctor know much about psychology? Probably not. Not much difference. If you didn't want opinions then why in the heck did you post? Obviously you already know what it is so why are you here???
My vet knows a lot about dog psychology, she's a trainer too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My vet knows a lot about dog psychology, she's a trainer too.

Then she is not just a vet she is a certified licensed trainer. I am talking a regular vet, she never said her vet was a licensed certified trainer or behaviorist, which I think she would have since that's what we were talking about. A normal regular vet who is credentialed in nothing other than veterinary medicine typically does not. Also, please notice I said TYPICALLY a regular vet licensed in nothing else TYPICALLY will not, now if they are licensed and certified in other areas (a slim few are) that's an entirely different story because then they are not just a vet. Again, I would assume that the OP would have stated this however since he/she keeps going on about how it's a medical problem I doubt that's the case.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My dogs do this while playing, and they are all over 5 years old. Even the one who's lowest in the pack. I guess he forgot to read the manual.

He probably was not socialized properly as a puppy. My female had issues with introducing herself to new dogs and always wanted to go head first. We just had to work with her to stop that otherwise it ended up in a fight many times. Yes there are proper ways that they learn these things, however not having mom around for long enough as well as littermates can mess with that kind of learning and they don't end up getting it. Good reason why it's important for dogs to be with mom and littermates for more than 6 weeks like many BYB's do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It must be nice to think you know everything and think you have all the answers. How do you know there's not a medical problem? I think she's doing the right thing by ruling out any medical issues first. Most of what we 'know' about dogs are educated 'guesses'. We can't truly know what the reason is for everything a dog does without being in the dog's brain. We can only guess. There is not only one pat answer for every issue that comes along. While I think what you are suggesting is a pretty good guess, it's not absolute just because 2 people say it is, or even if 100 people say it is. You'll find just as many people who will dispute what you've said, and will insist they are right. I would really be concerned if people who have a question just go along with the first one or two people who give them advice. All possibilities should be looked into before a decision is made.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts