Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally got my English Bully's loose stool under control (Thank you Perfect Form by Honest Kitchen!) but now we're dealing with skin issues (bad chin acne and red blotchy muzzle) so I'm looking to boost his immune system by putting him on a premium dog food. I've heard that TOTW grain free is a good choice, as is Avoderm (although that food has avocados which I've heard can be fatal to dogs so I'm unsure about that one...). Any thoughts/kibble recommendations for a dog with sensitive skin?

Here is a photo which shows my poor, red-faced squishy faced boy...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Something grain free. I wouldn't even consider avoderm for an english bulldog. Also would get him on a fish oil supplement.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wouldn't trust Avoderm just because of being made with avacados. There are plenty more foods out there to choose from.

·
Registered
469 Posts
avoderm is too grain heavy, and i do not feel it is a good food. so i would not recommend it.

taste of the wild "wetlands" is a good formula.
Id also suggest adding fish oil to his diet.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I know of someone on another board that dealt with severe allergies in a bulldog and nothing works besides Natural Balance, while I dont like this food, it seems that her dog does best on limited ingridient because everything else makes him yeasty and itchy. But because its a low protein food, she does add extra meat to it like sardines or other fish, and whatever protein source he's not allergic to. I think she also started adding ACV to his water which has helped a lot. I can email her to find out the details if you'd like, he dog seems to be doing quite well on this regimen.

I would start out with a fish based formula, if you still want to try TOtw though.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Here is a photo which shows my poor, red-faced squishy faced boy...

Thanks!
aww ur porr dog =p
but yeah id say taste of the wild is a great cheaper food. but do not buy the pacific stream formula, it is trash.

Reactions: kimrisa

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No Avoderm?

Something grain free. I wouldn't even consider avoderm for an english bulldog. Also would get him on a fish oil supplement.
Hi meggels,

Would you mind elaborating on why you wouldn't use this food for an EB? Is it the avocodo thing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Unsomom for this info. This is very helpful! I've also been considering Natural Balance. I'd love to hear what formula her dog is on (some people I know have had some problems with the fish and sweet potato formula because they think they changed it) and would also like to know what she adds to the kibble. I tried fish oil in the past but Tuffy's delicate tummy rebelled. He's prone to soft poop as well as skin issues! I will take you up on your offer to find out her dog's exact regimen if you don't mind! Any info I can get would be most appreciated...

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Kimrisa, me again! how long are you going to keep going through this with your dog? English Bull dogs, which my dogs are decendents from are incredibly sensitive and have loads of allergy issues, do the right thing and look at the right section.:wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the right section? Are you talking about RAW? Elaborate please I guess I'm slow on the uptake! As for right now, the vet thinks it's NOT food related and has taken away his toys for a week to see if that's part of the problem!!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
O.K Good luck!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
id still consider it a step up from most grain inclusive foods, but in the context of grainless foods, most of which are higher in meat content, calories and protein, it is rather underwhelming.
plus i doubt its cheaper than the other two formulas,since fish is a more expensive food

1 - 20 of 31 Posts