Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondernig if theres anoyone else here who is trying to lose some weight?
ive always been thin i never even hit 100 pounds untill i was 18 years old ten i got on birth control and it made me gain nothing but 6 pounds in 5 years i was satisifed i had energy to run and hike and jog and ride a bike and dance around my room every night i was in good shape
well last febuary i tried a drug for my bi polar was on it for 2 months before stopping while on that medication i gain a total of 50 pounds and a whole lot of stretch marks due to gaining it so quick after i gained the weight i went off the drug and stayed off it and began to diet it was around that time i got Cesar and was taking him for 2 hour walks EVERYDAY i cut out all pasta (im normally a big pasta eater)
and began a daily diet of skinless chicken breasts no salt,no butter very little olive oil with lots of veggies for a sweet craving i would eat a lowfat yogurt or fresh fruit i dont eat out at fast food resturants like ever i dont drink soda EVER i only drink water or almond milk sometiems soy milk dont like actuall cows milk once in a great great while ill have a cup of coffee.

from april of last year to well now ive been getting no more then 1000 colories per day along with walking 2 hours (sometimes more but never less) per day doing crunches every night and lifting weights and i have not lost one ounce not one inch not one gosh dang centimeter on my body!
i went from weighing 106 pounds to weigh 156 pounds i cant ride a bike without weezing,gasping and eventually pukeing i cant dance around my bedroom anymore i cant jog im always worn out from lack of energy i just wanna loose this weight ide be happy if i made it down to 130! but so far nothing not a single damned thing im getting so amd i even talked to my doctor about it who did blood tests to check my thyroid and said i was fine to jsut "keep up the dieting!"

ive even been so desprate as to try purging :(
ive tried joining weight loss websites but its discouraging to hear other people talk about "i just started walking for 30 minutes a day and i lost 12 pounds!" not to mention when i tell people i used to be so thin they get angry and tell me things like "you should be greatful you even were thin"

had some people tell me i wasnt getting enough calories to up it so i tried and ended up gaining 3 pounds.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am officially starting my diet on Monday, lol. I had two surgeries to remove my thyroid due to cancer. The elavated thyroid levels have caused me to gain ALOT of weight, I'm talking more than 60lbs. So I am on new higher dose meds to try and get them to drop, plus I NEED to get some of this weight off as my body just plain old hurts.

You sound like you need more calories to kick start your metabolism. You should be snacking every 3 hrs, becuase you have been retricting calories for so long your body is storing everything you eat and your metabolism is pretty much non-existant. You should also try taking in at least 3L if water per day.

Tomorrow I am starting with a berry smoothy recipe that NYDogue posted up. I am planning on a Berry smoothy in the morning, then a snack a couple hours later of nuts then another smoothie for lunch, then another snack, then dinner :) My goal is to take in a bunch a protein through out the day to help kick start my metabolism. I am horrible at taking in fluids so the water is going to be hard but I am willing to give it a go.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I need to lose about 15 lbs that I've put on mostly due to stress, which isnt really an excuse. The only real advice I have, is increase your aerobic exercise, since walking doesent seem to cut it. Can you join the gym? For me thats the only real way to motivate myself because there are no distractions. Also a lot of gyms offer classes which are awesome for motivation and the instructors are super supportive.

When I used to go to the gym, I'd work out 2 hours every day, 4-5 times a week and I finally found a gym I like, so I'm going to sign up this week.

I dont have a lot of nutritional tips, seems like you're already doing pretty good, maybe include more fiber in your diet and make sure to use small plates not to overeat.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Just wondernig if theres anoyone else here who is trying to lose some weight?
ive always been thin i never even hit 100 pounds untill i was 18 years old ten i got on birth control and it made me gain nothing but 6 pounds in 5 years i was satisifed i had energy to run and hike and jog and ride a bike and dance around my room every night i was in good shape
well last febuary i tried a drug for my bi polar was on it for 2 months before stopping while on that medication i gain a total of 50 pounds and a whole lot of stretch marks due to gaining it so quick after i gained the weight i went off the drug and stayed off it and began to diet it was around that time i got Cesar and was taking him for 2 hour walks EVERYDAY i cut out all pasta (im normally a big pasta eater)
and began a daily diet of skinless chicken breasts no salt,no butter very little olive oil with lots of veggies for a sweet craving i would eat a lowfat yogurt or fresh fruit i dont eat out at fast food resturants like ever i dont drink soda EVER i only drink water or almond milk sometiems soy milk dont like actuall cows milk once in a great great while ill have a cup of coffee.

from april of last year to well now ive been getting no more then 1000 colories per day along with walking 2 hours (sometimes more but never less) per day doing crunches every night and lifting weights and i have not lost one ounce not one inch not one gosh dang centimeter on my body!
i went from weighing 106 pounds to weigh 156 pounds i cant ride a bike without weezing,gasping and eventually pukeing i cant dance around my bedroom anymore i cant jog im always worn out from lack of energy i just wanna loose this weight ide be happy if i made it down to 130! but so far nothing not a single damned thing im getting so amd i even talked to my doctor about it who did blood tests to check my thyroid and said i was fine to jsut "keep up the dieting!"

ive even been so desprate as to try purging :(
ive tried joining weight loss websites but its discouraging to hear other people talk about "i just started walking for 30 minutes a day and i lost 12 pounds!" not to mention when i tell people i used to be so thin they get angry and tell me things like "you should be greatful you even were thin"

had some people tell me i wasnt getting enough calories to up it so i tried and ended up gaining 3 pounds.
eat veggies raw, steamed, cooked and boiled...eat 1/3 plate of any meat you want, 2/3 plate of veggies.

cut out dairy, flour, sugar.

you'll lose weight. you're also over doing it with exercise. you're eating too little for the amount of exercise you're doing, so your brain is hanging on to every calorie that goes in.

not all calories are created equally.....even though it is true that calories in calories out.

but you can eat five snicker bars a day or unlimited veggies...volume....is key...eat everything that contains a lot of water...then you're eating all day long.

oh yea, drink lots of water....

take a walk....aerobic exercise is to give your heart a cardio workout not a race to the finish line. you can overdo on cardio. lots of people do.

weight lifting, low and slow, can have a great impact on your muskulo skeletal system...and high intensity interval training is proving to be the exercise of choice, which means change it up....

walk at 3 mph, then sprint for a minute or two....do this for twenty minutes...that's what HIIT is.

slow repetitions.....on weights....heavier weights, slower reps.....

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i pretty much ONLY drink water i love water when i was littlek id if my mom would give me a sippy cup of juice or choclate milk i would cry untill she replaced it with water
i actually drink about a gallon and a half of water everyday :redface:
i keep a plastic gallon jug of water in the fridge alnog with some water bottles i refill everyday i will go thru a gallon and a half of water just becuase its good to me.

and i cant do much cardio simply becuase im so outta shape i will litterly get dizzy and feel like blacking out or ill littlery puke.
and we dont have a gym here in town other then the medical one which you can ONLY join if you have a medical condition/prescription and then its wicked wicked exspensive.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree with Unosmom to try to increase your aerobic exercise, get some fun workout videos like aerobics, tae bo, dancing for fitness, kickboxing, pilates, etc. or take some classes. Walking is all well and good but your body gets used to any type of exercise you do on a regular basis and makes it harder to actually get a good workout from it cuz your body adapts so well. Also, start lifting weights. If you don't know how, please look up the proper form to do so before you start and start with small weights so you don't hurt yourself. But having more muscle on your body helps you burn more calories throughout the day even while resting. Plus, since you don't already lift weights (I'm assuming anyway, since you didn't mention it), it's got the added bonus of being a new activity so your body will not be adapted to it yet so you should see results a little faster.

Edit: you posted before I was done with my post. If working out more makes you throw up then get a video and start at YOUR own pace. If you start to feel sick, slow down and/or take a break then try to keep going. Also, try walking a little bit faster, that should help improve your stamina as well.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm currently trying to get my sodium down to less than 1000mg a day so I can get off my high blood pressure medication. Doing so involved me cutting out a lot of the fatty processed foods because they contain high amounts of sodium. When my hips are better I plan to sweat it out along with watching what I eat.

Here is what I found to be the trick to losing weight in the past. Don't worry about it. Write down goals that have to deal with diet and activity and nothing to deal with actually weight. Cut out a few bad habits a week and don't quit cold turkey. A little goes a long way. Increase your exercise only a little at a time. I wouldn't push the exercise too much at first. Start out with what is easy to you. Make it fun. It is a life change and not a temporarily thing so it takes a long time for your mind and body to adjust. Slow and steady wins the race. It might not lose the fastest weight but it does help keep the weight off and minimalism that bouncing affect most people go through when they push themselves to hard trying to follow friends, family and extreme diet changes/ fitness plans.

If said goals are reached then reward yourself each time. I would try to go for weekly awards. Always give yourself something to look forward to for the hard work your putting into this. Nothing is worse than pushing yourself into stress trying to lose weight. The stress could do far more hard than the weight might cause. So keep working at it. Set goals, reward and take it easy at 1 step at time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kinda depends where you hold your weight though. Are we talking tummy, bum, boobs...ass (ugghhh mine). Each part needs different types of excersizes/diet tricks.
An example is - to get rid of tummy fat, its actually good to up your good carbs.

I wouldn't suggest cutting dairy - you need it - no matter how much fat you lose, if your not getting ca and d you will be setting yourself up for disaster.

In fact - since you have been stressing so much - go enjoy a pizza...seriously. Don't feel guilty but the next day try something new....like bikram yoga, rock climbing, swimming - you need to trick your body that you are about to fight or flight and try something new. You will jump your metabolism without even knowing it.

also - since i see your from a place with limited rescources - try dvds. Im huge into yoga...its how i dropped 20 pounds and have kept it off.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I eat 1200 calories a day and workout 5 times a week and I've lost about 8 pounds in the last 2 months. I'm at 125 now and I'm 5'8. My suggestion is to eat 1200 calories because that is the minimum you should be eating if your working out. 1200 is also the number of calories you eat to lose weight WITHOUT working out so thats even pushing it. As someone mentioned, if you're only eating 1000 and working out that could take its toll on you and it won't be pretty!! What you're eating sounds good, theres a website I use called three fat chicks that has AWESOME low cal recipes on it and great smoothie recipes for that sweets craving. You can do a lot of low impact workouts in your home that you can easily find on youtube or online. I have an app on my ipod that I use for ab/leg/butt/core workouts on the days when I'm feeling too lazy for cardio. I'd also suggest doing pilates a few times a week because you will be AMAZED at the difference it makes. After the 3rd time, you'll start to see a difference in terms of toning, it's great! Whatever you do, please do NOT revert to purging. It will open up the door to many health issues and it will be very difficult to stop. I've seen this first hand and it's not a good place to be, trust me!

Consider some of these suggestions, but my main advice would be go up to 1200 calories and start pilates!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am ALWAYS trying to lose weight... the problem is, I don't try very hard and I love food haha

I always tell myself my diet starts tomorrow... then tomorrow I end up eating some chocolate or something else packed with sugar lol

I just bought a book called Sweet Poison Quit Plan by David Gillespie, it's about how to cut sugar out of your diet and kick the sugar addiction... I need to kick it, I'm totally addicted to sugar! I'll start reading it tomorrow... not today, because I have left over birthday cake for afternoon tea... :lol:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Find something that you will stick with and do that. I lift weights 3 times a week for about 30 to 35 minutes, and do light yoga the other days. Not power yoga, just easy stretching. And of course lots of walks with the boys.

Eat a little less. I lost about 20 pounds making very small changes, cutting out deep fried foods and store bought muffins. It took about a year, but slow and steady. It's about lifestyle.

Kettlebells are a great tool. A good bang for the buck, giving you cardio, strength and mobility.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Someone mentioned Bikram Yoga as a healthy workout option. Just want to say I am a huge devotee of the practice, and have been practicing for about 12 years now.

(Below are a few photos taken by a friend a few years ago of myself and a Bikram Yoga instructor (he's also a Cirque du Soleil performer) in some advanced postures.)

But--- this yoga practice is fantastic for detox, as well as weight loss; it's held in a hot room (105 degrees) and you sweat a lot. It is a beginner's practice; people come from all different health or injury situations, and you do not have to be fit or flexible to begin.

You start where you are.

I hope I am not sidetracking this thread; just wanted to second the notion of a yoga practice as something to balance out whatever else you are doing. And stick to it-- the benefits are long-lasting and accumulative. I, for one, am addicted!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i do lift weights on a nightly basis i worked myself up over the years from 1 pound and im now at 10 pounds and am tiking of moving up.

and i tried upping my clorie intake to 1200 calories and thats when i gained the extra few pounds.

ive got ALOT of diet and excersize books specifically on the health aspect of dieting and excersizing i have the you owners manual books i have a natural remedies book that tells alot about healthy diet i have a book and dvd about yoga for beginers i have 2 pilates books i have a book for athletes n proper stretching,diets,and proper methods of excersizing to not hurt yourself i have a book called tao its about meditating for a few mintues before eating to "feel" if yoru really hungry and waht your body is craving its basically a form of dieting without starving yourself but listening to yur body

and ive read them all and have tried useing them originally a few years ago once i learned i had bi-polar disorder i didnt want to get on medication so i changed my diet to more healthy foods i switched to dark green leafed lettuce instead of iceberg,started eating spinch,started taking fish oil stopped eating so much sweets started eating fish (never used to eat fish) started eating canned pumpkin 9without spices) switch from french fries to homemade sweet potato fries (baked not fried)
then i began buying books on finess and health and started useing them but i never lost weight then either which i didnt mind i wasnt trying to

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
How frustrating! It sounds like you're literally doing everything right with no results :frown: All I can recommend is to try a few new types of exercise and see if they help. Don't reduce your caloric intake or start purging. Both can become addictive and I've found that when I start dropping below 1,000 calories a day, I can only do it for so many days before I break down and start binging. And purging. And seeing no results/gaining more weight than I originally started with. It's a vicious cycle and can easily turn into a habit that is extremely hard to break. Trust me.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I cut out white flour products and sugar and lost 24lbs over a year and finally lost my pregnancy weight (after 14 years). I think you need to up the fat, but good fats like butter, coconut oil, grassfed animal fat. They satiate you and you don't tend to overreat, low fat food will always leave you craving and we are meant to eat fat, it's all those bloody carbs/sugar we don't need. I studied the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson and it was a revelation, I don't count calories, I love to cook and to eat but there are just some things I don't eat. I am not a disciplined person at all either and it has been really easy for me and I've kept it off for over a year. I also only eat when I am hungry.
Weston A Price book Nourishing Traditions dispels a lot of myths about fat we have been brainwashed to believe over the last 30 or so years and although not a grain free zone like PB it does teach you how to properly prepare grains.
The only regular exercise I get is walking with my dog for an hour 6 days a week and about once a fortnight I lift a few weights and when you are my age it is much harder to shift the weight.
This has worked for me and I can't imagine going back to how I ate before.
Lots of advice here as different things have worked for different people.
Good luck but don't kill yourself with too much exercise and enjoy your food.
Remember if you reduce your calories too much your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to excess fat.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I havent done a diet since I was 18.

I did however rethink how I was eating and treating my body. That lead me to leaning about Paleo/Primal way of eating. That is how I work on eating, (normally) I dont eat any processed foods, no grains or dairy. MAN do I feel 200% different then I did this time last year!! I havent lost the weight that I would have liked, but I AM nearly to my size goal...and hey, weight is just a number...muscle weighs more then fat, so I would rather be at a weight that I dont really like the numbs and a SIZE that I love then vice versa!!

Both of these pretty much sum up how I, strive to, eat:

1 - 20 of 120 Posts