Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the grocery today, and found some pork stomachs, pig ears, and a HUGE pack of pork fat. They were all cheap but I didn't get any until I ask. Not sure if they are any good or not. I know my dogs stomachs will be able to handle the fat, and one of the dobes could use some extra fat. I won't get any of it though until I learn some more about it.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I've not fed any of those items to my dogs, I'm guessing that the pork stomachs have been bleached, are they white? if they are they have no nutritional value to them, the ears probably would be a good chew for the dogs anyway but might give some diarreah, not sure about that one. and the fat, well if it were me I'd stay away from total fat of any kind just because I don't want to have "cannon butt".:eek:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not fed any of those items to my dogs, I'm guessing that the pork stomachs have been bleached, are they white? if they are they have no nutritional value to them, the ears probably would be a good chew for the dogs anyway but might give some diarreah, not sure about that one. and the fat, well if it were me I'd stay away from total fat of any kind just because I don't want to have "cannon butt".:eek:
No, the stomachs are not bleached. They are brown like right out of the animal. I don't think I will trust the others, due to the risk of the runs. That would be bad and all the dogs finally have perfect poops. Wouldn't want to mess that up. Being unbleached, do you think the stomachs may give "cannon butt"? Would they otherwise be healthy at all?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
If they are unbleached then they probably have some nutritional value, I feed my dogs tripe all the time and they love it but I always give it in the a.m. after they have had a meat/bone meal in the p.m.

I didn't think that they could sell unbleached stomach in the stores, but I could be wrong. Give it a try but start with a small amount as with any new source and see how it goes.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The pork fat you could give in very small quantities so as to avoid diarrhea. The pig ears could be given as treats and actually do provide some nutrition from the cartilage from the ear. The stomachs probably are bleached and provide very little nutrition. Give each one a try and see how it goes!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will probably try the ears, like you said as a treat. I don't think the stomachs have been bleached because they are still brown. I saw the bleached tripe and its a no no.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ah, well give it a shot. Even if it was bleached it won't hurt a dog in the slightest bit to eat it, just would be empty calories kinda.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts