Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I'm a new puppy mom, he is a 6 month old golden retriever/australian shepperd, he weighs about 30lbs, and we love him dearly, we adopted him 3 months ago, and have been going to the vet often due to his on going diarrhea, we have changed his food a few times *gradually*, when we got him they gave him pedigree, which is garbage, and we switched him gradually science diet, which he hated, then changed him again to wellness,
and he was doing well, until we started taking him to the dog park, and apparently he drank the water and got Giardia, and we are back on the loose stool with blood, vet put him on a bland diet, basically white rice and chicken, after he got better and tried to get him back on wellness and he just got back on diarrhea and getting worst by the day, now with mucus, so they tell us he got inflammatory bowel disease.

What do u suggest i do? please help me. should i change his food again?
i'm debating between natural balance organic formula and blue buffalo?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I had very similar issues with my Corgi, ironicly who was also sent to me on Pedigree to start out.
They blamed IBD and then SIBO, and when all treatments for both failed miserably, if not making matters worse, my vet determined that the carbohydrate content of commercial dog food was wrecking havoc on his system. He related it to SIBO in the sense that it makes all the wrong bacterias grow, but it doesn't respond to antibiotics as well, and as long as the carbs are present in the diet, it will feed the disorder until the whole digestive system is entirely taken over, and the dog will not be able to fight it off.
I'm not trying to diagnose your dog. I am not a vet, nor do I work for one. This was my experience with MY dog and what MY vet diagnosed. He also recommended a very expensive Hills low residue diet, lifetime antibiotics at a dose so high it could impair his coordination (goodbye hopes of agility!) and steroid treatment every two weeks.

I opted to not go that route. It seemed silly to go through all of that just to keep the carbs in his diet in check, when there is no dietary need for them in a dog's diet, as they are carnivores. I went prey model raw with my corgi after 7 months of failed vet treatment, and chronic diarrhea. Two days into raw, Grissom was 100% solid, and had his energy back. He is not the definition of healthy. His before and after pictures can be found here:
http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/pictures/2741-grissom-before-after-raw.html

He was less than a year old when all this happened, by the way.

I hope you find the solution to your dog's problem. You just might have to venture outside of commercial pet food to really fix it, and the good news is, that's very easy to do.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Welcome and hello! I hope that you find the answers you are looking for here. There are plenty of people here with experience with dogs having sensitive tummies here!

I'm going to let the other IBD members here tell you what worked for them, but I will say that it's not something that comes in a a bag with pretty labels at the pet store.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Feed him a diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. Whole fresh foods. Highly processed foods are what causes IBD to begin with. All kibble and canned food is highly processed. To get more information on this completely natural diet check out the link in my sig.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
First of all welcome!
Been there, done that!!
As the previous posts mentioned, your answers are not found in any medicine your vet gives you, or in any bags of kibble.
Within weeks of switching off kibble, Khan is a different puppy. At almost 8 months he is thriving, and not been back to the vet for any of these issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts