Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeding raw for a number of years to my German Shepherds....I now have 2 Newfoundlands - one I have been feeding Raw since she is 10 weeks old (LOVES IT!!) and recently have gotten a 2nd Newf - who is a 14 week old male. He was switched to raw slowly over a 2 week period when I first brought him home - and he is doing WONDERFUL on it! (I sooo love Raw poops compared to Kibble poops!!)

The question I have is this...

The breeded found out that I am now feeding my puppy RAW (she never asked me what I was even feeding my other dogs when I bought him) she pretty much 'freaked out' sending me all this info on how BAD it is to feed Raw to a Giant Breed puppy - that I am going to ruin his growth - that Raw is good for other breeds but NOT for Newfs (or any Giant breeds) She feeds Canidae - which personally I do not like........but I do not EVER put people down for feeding what THEY FEEL is good for THEIR dogs....its a personal choice!

How ANYONE can tell me that a proceeded food is BETTER then feeding a Natural Diet is beyond me....I have seen SO many Raw feeders of Giant breeds online - Great Danes, Mastiffs, Newfs - etc......and the one thing I had always LOVED about Raw feeding was that it allowed our puppies to grow slowly - keeping them lean (not to mention all the other AMAZING results)

I guess I just need to hear from other Raw feeders that I am doing the right thing........my 9 month old Newf looks AMAZING - her coat is bright & Shiny - she is lean and muscular - her teeth are white and sparkling and she has soooooooo much energy!!! My Vet is even Pro-Raw (a rare thing, I know!!!) He is GLAD I am feeding my dogs raw....and actually said that feeding a Giant Breed RAW was BETTER because of the slower growth!!!! Why I am allowing someone who has NEVER fed Raw to make me question myself - but I just would feel better hearing from others...

Thanks for your time in advance....I look forward to being a part of this group![/SIZE]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you should have your vet write a recommendation for raw feeding to your breeder to educate her :biggrin:

I think raw feeding is the best thing in the world for any carnivore, you're definitely doing the right thing!
I am quite fortunate to have a Vet who is Pro-Raw - he is very happy with my decision to feed a Natural diet and he too felt it was the best thing for them.

As far a letter to the breeder, Honestly, I really am not that concerned about her thoughts - She is aware of my Vets thoughts, and her comment was that "Most Vets know nothing about Giant Breeds"...so my question was really for me, so that I knew I was doing the right thing for my puppy. I would never want to do anything that would hurt my dogs - Your replies really did ease my mind......THANK YOU ALL for taking time out to post!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.