Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my hands on some antlers for chews but they're crazy expensive when purchased as dog treats.

I've looked at getting a rack off of Ebay (just haven't managed to win an auction yet)

I'm wondering if any of you that have access to fresh deer, elk, etc might be able to score some antlers?

We'd be willing to pay shipping costs, etc :biggrin:

·
Registered
70 Posts
We're avid hunters here in Michigan... but gosh - I dont think I would let my dog chew on antlers. They are hard and dry... almost like a cooked bone. The tines will break and splinter off sometimes. Have you ever had your hands on some?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will pop in... :)

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Insight, please??

I'm curious, as my family all hunts, and I hadn't really thought of this. I could even possibly get my hands on them for you, and shipping wouldn't be too bad, I'm just here in Utah, and if I remember correctly, you're just a hop, skip, and a jump away in Denver, right?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I see them here in our specialty dog boutigues for sale, so they must have some natural benefit to them, they are expensive thats for sure!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got a phone call... my brother got a 10 point with a 20in spread tonight... :O

Sorry Jon, that ones going on the wall... hehehe

·
Registered
70 Posts
You know, thats interesting. :rolleyes: I might have to try that out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.. I love all the new stuff Im learning.

I just read some of the things from your google link. I actually don't think the price is bad considering these things are straight from nature, and how they are collected. AND they would most definitely last longer than most other rawhide or chew I bet. I wonder how fresh they have to be. If theyve dried out for years if they are still 'chewable'. I have a few racks sittin around home I might be able to sneak away with.:cool:

They just seem so HARD to me! But then.. I guess so are bones :redface:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
70 Posts

HUGE deer for our area.

Holy MOLEY! Thats a big elk antler.. cripes you would have one happy doggy! hehehe

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll see what I can do for you around here.. but people can get awfully stingy about their horns!
I don't think I could give up my Buck antlers to my dogs. OH NO! :eek: Those are trophies! :biggrin:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Woohoo! I've got some antlers on the way. Just won this auction
Elk Antlers Nice 5x5 set 2009 sheds - eBay (item 200406842597 end time Nov-23-09 14:00:28 PST)

I'm probably going to run them thru a bandsaw and cut them into chew size. If anyone wants to give it a try I'd be happy to sell ya one or two chews

You know, I bet if you asked them they would cut them up for you. They would be SO much easier to ship if they were cut into smaller pieces and fit in a box!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Jon, how are the dogs liking the antlers? I just got a pretty good deal on some antlers for the dogs to try: picked up 12" antlers for $10.00 each, a whole lot cheaper than at the stores. Dogs are mildly interested in them, they keep waiting for them to break or food to come out of them. LOL

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have access to TONS of antlers, I have a brother-in-law we call the deer slayer. However, I agree with other posts here. Antlers are VERY hard, and not only splinter bad, possibly break teeth. I would stay with raw bones before I would give antlers to the dogs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
They do seem hard, but I see them at pet stores all the time.
Are the ones in the stores treated with something?

I saw some advertised with the 'velvet on' as well.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
They say they aren't treated with anything, just dried and cut and then they kind of sand down the ends. The dogs are sitting here chewing on them now, I heard somewhere that there is some nutrient in the antlers but not sure if that is true or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've heard that the antler buttons (the very base of the antler where it meets the skull) have more nutrients and don't splinter. I'm not sure if this is true or not but it's just what I've heard.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts