Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know for sure that Amaya is in heat. I looked at her today, and the area is all swollen, and about five minutes after that, Ryou, despite being neutered, decided to run into the bedroom after her, and preceded to mount her while they were both trodding on my feet. Yummy. haha.

Anyways, my curiosity is this: back in January, I thought she had her first heat because I took her to the dog park, and all of the male dogs were really into her, and one of them, a bull terrier, pinned her to the ground and was looking like he was trying to, for lack of better terminology, get it on with her. When another guy and I tried to push him off of her, he attacked, grabbing her back leg and latching onto it. When we finally got him off of her, he then turned around and attacked Ryou, grabbing him by the neck. We spent about ten minutes trying to pry this dog's jaws off of mine. I thought this was all because Amaya had gone into a preheat.

Now, however, I'm totally unsure, and leaning more towards the idea that the dog really was aggressive. But I was wondering still, is it possible for a dog to have her first heat and then a second heat only a couple of months later?​

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
How old was she back in January? Most female puppies get puppy vaginitis, which is a pretty mild urinary tract infection that is common and not something to worry about and almost always clears up after spaying. It can confuse male dogs and make them interested even though she was not in season. I would be confident to say that this was the case back in January if she is now showing all the classic signs of heat because it is rare for female dogs to go into heat only a few months apart.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was seven months back in January, nine now. I talked to a friend who breeds and shows dogs, though, and she said that sometimes bitches can have a split heat, where they'll have it twice without a couple of months. It may have been that as well, because she wasn't showing any signs of having a urinary tract infection. Ryou was actually the one that appeared to have a urinary tract infection, because he had to go at LEAST once ever hour, if not every half an hour, for quite a while.​

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. I'm going to make an appointment for after her estrus cycle completes. I asked Rannmiller to ask at her new job (at a vet clinic) how much a spay for a 35 lb bitch would cost, but I'm probably going to go through the same vet I used for Ryou. Payed the initial $120 to get him neutered, and then not a penny after that, even though I had to bring him in several times for ripping out stitches then staples. He makes me nervous, though, because I can't tell the difference between my dogs, and when he puts stitches in a dog's neck and has to shave off half the friggin' fur then STILL can't tell the difference...well...that's pretty bad....​

1 - 5 of 5 Posts