Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does dehydrated liver count towards the 'organ quota'?
Flip loves dehydrated liver treats and I use them in agility training, but he's still not so fond on squidgy chicken livers. I have to stuff a small bit into a chicken quarter to trick him. ;)

Jack on the other hand is a good little trooper and wolfs it all down.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I would say no as it has been dried to a point in a heated oven so it's taken out most of the nutrients. I use dehydrated treats also, lamb, beef and chicken liver but have never thought of them as taking the place of the raw organ.

Reactions: spookychick13

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I have seen this argument go both ways, saying that it is enough but others say that it is.

I personally think that it is, as long as you are giving plenty of it considering your dog will eat it no problem :biggrin:

I would love to get a dehydrator and make our own!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would love to get a dehydrator and make our own!
You could always try this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/the-jerky/48723.html

I'm warning you now...the video is quite long. The part that is important is more towards the end. Basically it's a video taken from the food network show "Good Eats." He uses a couple of fans and some air filters to make his own dehydrator which uses NO heat, unlike electrical dehydrators which use SOME heat. Cheap and easy to do one day if you're bored. :biggrin:

·
Banned
493 Posts
yea, i'd say don't count it as the liver quota, just use it for treats on the side. also, while we're on the subject, what do you guys think of thin sliced liver? i just bough some the other day. is that ok?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You could always try this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/the-jerky/48723.html

I'm warning you now...the video is quite long. The part that is important is more towards the end. Basically it's a video taken from the food network show "Good Eats." He uses a couple of fans and some air filters to make his own dehydrator which uses NO heat, unlike electrical dehydrators which use SOME heat. Cheap and easy to do one day if you're bored. :biggrin:
LOVE Alton Brown!! I'll check it out...

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
So, dehydrating is a process. I was told on this forum that any PROCESS decresses the nutrient content, so now your all saying something different. PLEASE get your story straight.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So, dehydrating is a process. I was told on this forum that any PROCESS decresses the nutrient content, so now your all saying something different. PLEASE get your story straight.
Well, I would say any process that involves heat would mean cooking the meat to a varying degree therefore decreasing the nutrients.

If you go with Alton's method posted above you're simply using cool air to dry the meat. I would think that simply removing the moisture wouldn't remove any nutrients

.... I could be wrong but that's just my thoughts on the matter

Gonna have to get some filters and try out Alton's jerky method. We use jerky a lot of US as a healthy snack. Would be nice to make some of our own :biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts