Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok for my dog's stool to have a whole piece of bone? It looks like the bone from a drumstick, which apparently he did not chew very much :p. I thought the digestive acids or whatnot would break that down?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this is normal for a newly switched dog. It takes a bit for the body to re-learn how to digest the proper food. It is of no harm to your dog, though. :wink:
Today he completed his 3rd full week of RAW. Does it typically take quite some time for the body to 're-learn' how to digest? It does seem as though some of the pieces of the bone are sharp and would hurt them while its coming out :tongue:.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You will still see bone fragments for 6 months to a year. They will be smaller and smaller and it will happen less and less frequently. Don't worry about the fragments. The digestive system is a lot tougher than you think. We all went through this in the beginning and all our dogs survived. :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Heck, we still sometimes see the occasional bone fragment and our dogs have been raw fed for a long time! It's just something that happens with raw feeding but you definitely will see less and less of it as time passes. Don't worry too much about the lining of the stomach and intestines. It's is extremely rubbery and thick. Bone fragments are very rarely sharp enough to do any serious damage. I think a lot of people have a paper thin image in their heads which is far from accurate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts