Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there -- given the amount of experience on this board, I thought I'd also ask for some help in finding the right kibble for my dog.

I have a 2 year old boston terrier who is highly allergic to: rice, barley, wheat, chicken, turkey, and fish.

Given the above, I took him off his Innova small bites and put him on Natural Balance LID venison formula. I have to say he does not like it much as he will not eat this or the duck version I tried unless I add some Wellness 95% lamb canned food topper to it.

Since he does not like it, and since I've now read about the high potato/low meat content, I was looking for something else to try. From reading the board it sounds like California Naturals should be my next try. Before I buy yet another bag though, I thought I'd get some recommendations......Any advise anyone can share?

Thanks so much!

Dex's Mom

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a lot of customers who tell me their dog won't eat venison flavored food. It can be a pretty strong (gamey I think) flavor. My dog eats certain venison kibbles, but won't touch others. I've heard similar stories about duck. Very rich.

I usually feed Nature's Logic beef formula. Chicken gives her very loose poopies but the beef flavor doesn't have any chicken at all. No grain, wheat, barley, chicken, turkey and the rest, but it looks like there is some fish meal in there. I'm not sure how much but it is one of the ingredients (though not a top one).

California Natural grain free lamb formula looks like it would work. Not a single item on your list. I tried feeding the venison formula and Tiki wouldn't touch it. She'll pick at the lamb formula though. Nature's Logic has been her favorite by far out of all dog foods we've tried. All others she'll pick at but doesn't have much interest. And here I thought labs were known for eating everything!

Good luck! Btw if you go to the Natura website you can sign up to get a coupon for a free 5-6.6 pound bag of food. That way you can try one and if he doesn't like it you haven't wasted any money

·
Registered
718 Posts
Normally I wouldn't come to the kibble forum and recommend this but since you dog's situation is so severe, with allergies to at least six common kibble ingredients, might I suggest you look into RAW feeding?

If you feed a prey model raw diet (raw meat, bones, organs), you automatically eliminate the grain issue. As for the meat, it has been pretty well determined that the allergy tests for proteins are for the cooked versions, which are very different from the raw versions of the same thing. Many dogs that are allergic to cooked chicken (for example) can eat raw chicken just fine.

If you'd like to learn more about this option, please visit the helpful RAW feeding community over here...

Raw Feeding - Dog Food Forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to say thank you for the responses. I'm going to take a look at the California Naturals and if the little guy does not seem to like it, will start exploring raw food options.

I have to say, I'm extremely grateful for that Wellness 95% lamb! I think it makes anything taste good :)

All the best and thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts