Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, some of you may remember how I said that Amaya actually ate the chicken liver, no hassle, right? Well, I put turkey liver in front of her and it was a WHOLE different story. She just wouldn't touch it. So I did this for two days, to no avail, held it in front of her face today to see if she was interested, and nope. So guess what she got to experience? She had a full liver meal shoved down her throat. hahahaha. She hated it, but it was surprisingly simple, unlike trying to shove pills down her throat. Pills didn't obstruct her airways, and she would do everything in her power to spit those up, but I shoved the liver in her mouth, and it blocked her throat for about three seconds before she goes "OKAY! I'll swallow the liver!" Took about two minutes. XDD Now hopefully she'll learn that if she actually eats it, she won't get it shoved down her throat. I mean, she will lick at it, so that tells me she doesn't HATE it... *shrugs*

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
You are kindof lucky she doesn't absolutely detest it.
When I shove liver down my dogs throat, she gets a disgusted look on her face like she's going to heave. Reminds me of how I felt as a kid when I had to eat spinich that had had the crap boiled of it.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha. I had to do something so she could have her salmon feast tonight! Otherwise she'd have gone all day without eating on her BIRTHDAY! :biggrin: But yeah, she doesn't detest it, but she does get this really scared/angry/upset/disgusted look on her face and tries to clench her teeth shut, but to no avail. I know the spots to get it open. MUWAHAHAHAHA! She heaves a couple of times, trying to get it out of her mouth, and rolls her tongue like she thinks it'll come out that way, but I just poke it down further, where her tongue can't roll it out, and it goes down.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha. You guys are actually the reason I decided to just force it down her throat, because I had heard you guys say several times that you do, so I knew it was okay, and I didn't want her to miss birthday dinner!!! XP

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Hee Hee I agree. Once I read that you guys did the force feed thing I had no reason to not switch over to total raw. I really thought if I told anyone I was even thinking of force feeding I'd end up in jail. Maybe its just the community where I live, but I know of no-one who feeds raw round here, and I know a LOT of people with dogs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
May I ask why some of you choose to force feed? I also have a dog who doesn't like organs, but I guess I am on the soft side, since I made a mix with ground beef to make him eat it, lol. :tongue:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
my dogs get their liver in the morning with their gelcaps....

they get frozen slices as i use them as a training treat. Lord knows, bubba needs some manners....

maybe that's the advantage of having smaller dogs...bubba's weekly allowance is aproximately 3-4 ounces of liver and 3-4 ounces of heart....

how much, if you don't mind me asking, do you guys have to feed your dogs?

also, in the beginning...they were fed this 'treat' at 4 a.m. after their first walk of the day....if they didn't eat that, they saw it again at breakfast....no food until they ate their liver...so i guess they're kind of used to eating what i put in front of them or not eating....at all.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
and then my other question is...isn't liver liver?

or are we supposed to give variety of liver, too...

so far, mine have gotten chicken liver and beef liver....

i've never seen turkey livers....

they will get buffalo liver and venison liver, but i've also not seen pork liver

what's the difference other than different animal...or fowl....

don't livers pretty much function the same?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
May I ask why some of you choose to force feed?
I know it sounds mean, but believe me, if she would eat liver in any form whatsoever, I would be over the moon! I've tried everything I can think of. All different types of liver, tiny pieces in both cooked and raw ground meat, cutting pockets and inserting it in chunks of meat, cooking a second or two, cooking a bit, cooking a lot, freezing, slicing thick, mid, thin, rubbing garlic on it, tuna juice on it, pretending to eat it myself, pretending its a treat, pretending I'm going to throttle her if she doesn't eat it. She just won't eat it or anything that has it in. Sure wish is wasn't so necessary for their health. Forcefeeding it is the only way we can stay on a full raw diet (I think).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know it sounds mean, but believe me, if she would eat liver in any form whatsoever, I would be over the moon! I've tried everything I can think of. All different types of liver, tiny pieces in both cooked and raw ground meat, cutting pockets and inserting it in chunks of meat, cooking a second or two, cooking a bit, cooking a lot, freezing, slicing thick, mid, thin, rubbing garlic on it, tuna juice on it, pretending to eat it myself, pretending its a treat, pretending I'm going to throttle her if she doesn't eat it. She just won't eat it or anything that has it in. Sure wish is wasn't so necessary for their health. Forcefeeding it is the only way we can stay on a full raw diet (I think).
Wow, you sure have tried everything! That explains why you force feed. Guess I should be glad that I can easily trick my dog into eating organs. :tongue:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
if i were you, i would not feel badly about it....if it were non essential...then maybe i wouldn't fight the fight....

but liver? they gotta have liver...it's a core ingredient....perhaps after a while, she'll get used to it...maybe not desire it, but maybe resign herself to it.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I force feed it because I'm not going to cater to her needs, and the last time I forced her to eat something without physically forcing it down her throat, she got reeeeaaaally skinny, and I'm still trying to put that weight back on her, so I'm not taking my chances. XP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts