Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the calculation of 2-3% of Cali's ideal adult weight. The vet estimates she should top out at about 66 lbs. ideally. Currently, she 56.7 as of yesterday. I have been feeding her ~ 2lbs. per day--1.5 lbs of RMBs and 8 oz of muscle meat. (We're getting to organ meat in a few days.)

She is very active, and is one lean, athletic dog. The vet says he thinks she could actually use ~ 2 lbs. Today, she had a 60' romp in the wood where she ran like a wildcat. I gave her a little more for dinner.

What do you do? Is what I'm doing right? TIA!!!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We have never measured a raw meal out...ever. Not once in 3 years for Shiloh and the past year for the rest of the girls. Why? Because we don't worry too much about the 2-3%. Its more of a guideline to follow, not a requirement.

Like Jon said, just keep an eye out on her "figure" and make sure that you can see the last 2 or 3 ribs easily under the skin, a nice tucked tummy from a side view and slim waist when looking from above.

Instead we keep in mind approximately how much each animal part we feed usually weighs. For instance we know that the following animal parts weigh approximately:

Chicken quarter- 1 to 1.5 pounds
Turkey neck- 1 to 1.5 pounds
Chicken back- .25-.5 pound
Whole tilapia- 1 to 1.25 pounds
riblet section- .25 to .5 pound

Soon enough you will become a good judge at approximating the weight on the meats you feed. Like if you have a huge pork shoulder roast...cut off a piece the size of your average chicken quarter and you're good to go. No measuring, piece of cake! :biggrin:

I think that you are over thinking things just a wee bit. We don't feed RMB's every day. Some days our dogs will get an exclusively muscle meat meal, or exclusively RMB's meal or organ meal. I just keep in mind what we fed the day prior and when the last organ meal was.

The 80% muscle meat, 10% organ, and 10% bone is just a guideline as well. We follow it to an extent, by feeding mostly meat, some bone and some organ...easy as that. You can determine if your dogs are getting too much or too little bone by watching poops. Soft means too little and too hard or powdery means too much. Adjust accordingly.

Raw feeding is not an exact science...and that is the beauty of it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over thinking? Me? Surely you jest. :wink:

I am the reigning queen of over thinking. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I generally follow the 2-3% guideline, but do keep in mind it is not a bound rule. I just used it as something to start with, and it worked.

The first two times that I packaged up meals we measured them all out perfectly. After that, you just kind of get to know what the proper amount "looks like" and become not so worried about measuring every little piece.

Dogs can gain and drop weight pretty quickly, so it won't take long before you know if you need to up or down the food. Some times my corgi will look a little thinner, and if that's the case, I just give him a little extra "chunk" of meat for a couple days and he's fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts