Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Great Dane pup is 9.5months and around 100lbs-ish. We're not exactly sure how much her ideal weight is. I've been guessing around 120-130. At the moment we're feeding her about 2.5lbs daily @ 2%. No bile or visible weightloss (although they stay sort-of ribby you know?) but I'm getting mixed info on how much to feed a growing giant breed. Some say the regular 2-3% but I've also read up to 3-4% for growing pups. 3% for a 130lb. dog is like 4lbs. Now I'm all paranoid I'm not feeding her enough! Most days she's not too active, but a few days a week we go to the dogpark for a few hours and she's a complete loon. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Let her tell you how much to feed. If you can see her hip bone and spine, feed more. Otherwise stay the same. Thin is better than fat. You should be able to see a couple of ribs and a definate waste line behind her rib cage when viewed from above.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I like to say that body condition is what you should pay attention to more than percentages and numbers, since every dog is different. These numbers are good for setting a baseline, but shouldn't be followed to the nearest ounce. Keep an eye on her figure, and go from there. I would say that 130 is tops for a female in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts