Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to learn how much fish the dogs should have per week and are there any alternatives to fish?

Chelsy has some severe fish allergies (colitis) and the only fish I know for sure she can handle is herring because that is what is in EVO and that is the only kibble she can eat. Is herring easy to obtain?

Someone at a doggie health food store in California told me I could substitute coconut oil for fish oil with the same benefits. Is it possible to give her coconut oil instead of fish once a week for her fish requirements if I can't find herring? How much fish does a 20 pound dog require each week? What about a 75 pound dog? About how much fish should Rocky eat per week?

Thanks...... I have about 25 pounds of EVO left and then the beasties are done with the kibble so I want to be ready and have a little 'menu' all set for them.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Fish is not a required part of the diet. Some people feed fish for their Omega 3 fatty acids which is generally lacking in grocery store meat. You can give fish body oil or salmon oil occasionaly instead of feeding fish. Also, grass fed beef or any wild game would have plenty of O3s in them.

ETA: I would not give coconut oil as it is plant derived.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How often would you want to give them the wild game or the grass fed beef?

I'd have to stay clear of the salmon oil capsules because they set her off too, but I can pick up an occassional bit of game meat or grass fed beef. I've tried canned game meat on them in the past and neither one liked it but I'm sure real meat will be completely different.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some people like me give salmon oil gelcaps everyday. Some people do it once a week. I think it depends on the size of your dog too. I've got giant breed dogs who will weigh twice what your dog weighs.

So once a week would be fine I would think. But then again each dog is different. I noticed within a week of giving them daily salmon oil that their fur was softer and shinier.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some people like me give salmon oil gelcaps everyday. Some people do it once a week. I think it depends on the size of your dog too. I've got giant breed dogs who will weigh twice what your dog weighs.

So once a week would be fine I would think. But then again each dog is different. I noticed within a week of giving them daily salmon oil that their fur was softer and shinier.
I can go ahead and get the salmon oil for Rocky. He is two years old and hasn't ever really gotten his full coat back since he 'blew' his puppy coat out so I'm hoping switching his diet will really help him out. He's really itchy all the time, even on Orijen and Evo, which is one reason we are switching him over to the raw diet.

I think we will try Chelsy on the game meat and grass fed beef and see how that works.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We try and do fish once a week with all the dogs, but Bailey gets fish almost every day, Akasha about every other day since they are the only two that like fresh fish. Canned fish is the fall back option for fish if yours wont eat fresh. Either canned salmon, mackarel, sardines or tuna would be good. Try and get them not packed in a high salt solution.

We try and feed game meat and beef as much as we can afford. Red meats are much better and appropriate for dogs, they can never have too much of it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since Chelsy has only successfully eaten herring, I'm trying to find a fish that is most like herring as possible. I'm thinking maybe that would be sardines or something like that. I think tuna might be too close to salmon to risk it but I'm not a fish expert....not even sure which ones are fresh water and which ones are salt water fish. I haven't even figured out why salmon makes her sick and herring doesn't but there's something about it.

Luckily she's a small dog so I can try a tiny amount of a few things on her and see what will work out. We also have an Asian store nearby I can check out and see what's available there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe pike. I think that is more herringy and so far it is the only fish my dogs will look at. One eats it, the other brings it to her. They love canned sardines though and it is no salt added so I don't mind, but it is cooked. I've yet to find the canned mackeral that a lot of people seem to use.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe pike. I think that is more herringy and so far it is the only fish my dogs will look at. One eats it, the other brings it to her. They love canned sardines though and it is no salt added so I don't mind, but it is cooked. I've yet to find the canned mackeral that a lot of people seem to use.
Thanks, I'll look for Pike. I'm not a fish eater so I don't know the different fish types. Guess that's something else I'm going to have to learn. Maybe I'll end up eating healthier.......naw, not going to happen :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts