Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are everyons feelings on all life stage(als) formulas vs puppy/adult/senior formula dry dog food?

im feeding blue large breed puppy food atm, and the pupo is 42 lbs at 4 months

i was thinking of totw, but there is no puppy formula and i didnt want him to get fat

·
Registered
333 Posts
Theres many people on the forum that uses Life Stages formulas and have done fine. I've always used puppy formulas then to adult, but thats just me. As for getting fat, long as its a good quality food, I don't think it would matter.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
For the most part, puppy vs. adult formulas is a marketing scam, in my opinion.
Generally the ingredients are the same, just mixed around just enough tocall it a different formula. Here's the first fifteen ingredients of three different Innova formulas:

INNOVA ADULT:
Turkey
Chicken
Chicken Meal
Ground Barley
Ground Brown Rice
Potatoes
Ground White Rice
Chicken Fat
Herring
Apples
Carrots
Cottage Cheese
Sunflower Oil
Alfalfa Sprouts
Egg
Garlic
Probiotics
Vitamins/Minerals

INNOVA PUPPY:
Turkey
Chicken
Chicken Meal
Ground Barley
Ground Brown Rice
Cottage Cheese
Tomatoes
Hemp Oil
Chicken Fat
Flaxseed
Whole Steamed Potatoes
Herring
Whole Raw Apples
Whole Raw Carrots
Alfalfa sprouts

INNOVA LARGE BREED ADULT:

Turkey
Chicken
Chicken Meal
Barley
Brown Rice
Potatoes
Rice
Chicken Fat
Citric Acid
Natural Flavors
Flaxseed Meal
Herring Oil
Sunflower Oil
Apples
Carrots

See, a gimick. They're all pretty much the same thing, Sure I buy my pupy Innova Puppy, mostly because there's no price difference between that and the adult formula, but what gets me, is the Large Breed Adult formula is actually about ten to twelve bucks more than the regular, and it's the same ingredients!

·
Registered
68 Posts
We are using an ALS food because our puppy wouldn't eat puppy food and only wanted to eat what the other 4 dogs were eating. So we switched everyone to an ALS food after trying a couple different adult foods and about 3-4 different puppy foods. Once we put them all on the same food, the puppy would eat just fine. We currently feed Nature's Variety Prairie (chicken & brown rice formula) and they all love it. When I asked about a reasonably priced ALS food, the 2 that were recommended were Innova (regular adult formula) and the Nature's Variety Prairie formulas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Totally agree with Corgi Paws. I think it's a scam too. If you look at the ingredients, it tells the story. I've had my two min Poodles on evo since 8 weeks old and never had a problem. Now I'm switching them to Acana because of price. Still a good food, just not as much protein so a bit cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts