Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm so happy to have found this forum!

My 9 year old Brittney Spaniel has had itching issues for many, many years. We've tried countless foods and allergy medications to help alleviate his itching, which occurs most severely in the rectal area. We don't feed him table scraps and have been meticulous about making sure he has no other protein or grain source from treats, etc. We finally sent his saliva and hair to a company for a complete allergy testing. We just received the results today. Amongst the normal allergies I expected (corn and wheat), we also found he's allergic to Canola and Flax. I'm assuming this means Canola oil, and Flax seed oil.

He has been on the Natural Balance Potato and Duck, which happens to have BOTH Canola oil and Flax seed oil. I did a quick search for some of the other high end brands could not find one that did not contain Canola oil.

What are my options at this point? Are there other dog foods that don't contain Canola and Flax? (BTW He's taking an oil based allergy supplement called Allerderm Efa-Z Plus and it helps a bunch with his itching, but hasn't gotten rid of it).

Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Zoralyn

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello! I'm so happy to have found this forum!

My 9 year old Brittney Spaniel has had itching issues for many, many years. We've tried countless foods and allergy medications to help alleviate his itching, which occurs most severely in the rectal area. We don't feed him table scraps and have been meticulous about making sure he has no other protein or grain source from treats, etc. We finally sent his saliva and hair to a company for a complete allergy testing. We just received the results today. Amongst the normal allergies I expected (corn and wheat), we also found he's allergic to Canola and Flax. I'm assuming this means Canola oil, and Flax seed oil.

He has been on the Natural Balance Potato and Duck, which happens to have BOTH Canola oil and Flax seed oil. I did a quick search for some of the other high end brands could not find one that did not contain Canola oil.

What are my options at this point? Are there other dog foods that don't contain Canola and Flax? (BTW He's taking an oil based allergy supplement called Allerderm Efa-Z Plus and it helps a bunch with his itching, but hasn't gotten rid of it).

Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Zoralyn
I am so sorry that your dog suffers and I wish I could help you today, but our foods will not be available on-line for another 4 - 5 weeks.

This one will be in the USA as part of our line-up. No corn, wheat, flax or canola. No chicken or chicken products.

Single Animal Protein Wild Cod & Ancestral Grain Recipe | Farmina Pet Foods - Happy pet. Happy You.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I will say first and foremost I don't know much about Nature's Recipe, but some of there formulas seem to be what your looking for.
Nature

I personally am not a fan of the pumpkin in this one, but otherwise not too bad.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You may also want to consider some of the canned foods or perhaps the pre-made raw...

I know wysong has some nice canned options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.