Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harumph

I really want to find a food that will be good for Murph. His little tootsies are still not getting better, may even be getting worse. He licks at them a lot, and it seems that inbetween his toes the fur is missing and look red and very sensitive...:frown:

I've been giving him a mixture of Fromm & Blue Buffalo (chicken).

So now I'm thinking, he probably needs to be on a LID diet or a grain free.

Thing is, we moved to PA a week ago, and the environment is pretty different. He's rarely on grass anymore.

I cleaned out his ears tonight and they were pretty gross :frown:

I'd love to put him on California Natural, but 1) I can't imagine they are going to stay a good product for much longer and would be annoyed/bummed/frustrated to find something that works only to have it stop working if the quality suffers and 2) I don't know if I want to support P&G anyways...

It seems that the only grain free kibble that I have access too and can afford is TOTW. I'm trying to think of others...

Any suggestions or thoughts on either a grain free kibble to try or a LID kibble to try?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
How long has your dog been on the food? It takes awhile for the symptoms to go away, they don't happen overnite.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long has your dog been on the food? It takes awhile for the symptoms to go away, they don't happen overnite.
I think one of the problems is probably with ME, in that, I've been switching them too much. I just am looking for a "magic cure" but I'm sure that's not how it works. They haven't been on 100% of one kind of kibble for more than a week or two at a time before I switch.

So maybe i just need to suck it up, sit back, and keep him on the BB chicken formula for at least this big bag worth so that I can see how it effects him. I'm never gonna see changes (good or bad) if I keep switching so rapidly. I just wish you could snap your fingers and have the itchy paws go away :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
You kinda sound like me....I used to switch too fast from food to food. But, now that I've tried pretty much all foods out there hahaha, I've kinda settled down. Now, onto your question...Have you thought about feeding just the Fromm or the Blue by itself? Fromm has a grain-free and I believe their Whitefish formula is made more for sensitive dogs and Blue has some new formulas. They have a food called Basics that was developed for sensitivities. Those might be some options to think about. And yes, you do need to give it awhile longer. I have found, in my dogs, that it takes at least 2 months to determine if a food is going to work for them. I'm kind of the impatient type and it was hard to wait LOL. I work in a pet specialty store and I found it was hard to look at all the foods without wanting to try them all on my dogs...in fact, I finally did pretty much that very thing! My co-workers made fun of me :redface: I also use can dog food for toppers, so I just rotate every can, and that has seemed to satisfy my impatience and they seem to handle it very well. I also had to remember this wasn't about me, but my furbabies! Good luck, and I hope your pup feels better soon! :smile:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Could it be enviromental, as far as pollen, grass etc..? Maybe try some benedryl for a while and see what happens. Or, as Whiteleo said, it could take some time for food based allergys to go away.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm going to try California Natural Grain Free for awhile. I was going to put Murph on BB Wilderness and Abbie on Chicken Soup because it's hard to find a food that fits both their nutritional needs. But, I think the cali natural grain free will be good for both, so, fingers crossed. And I promise to give it awhile hehe.

I was gonna go with TOTW because it was a bit cheaper, but then I looked on the back and realized that the TOTW formulas were about 100 (give or take) less calories per cup than the Cali Natural, so I think it will end up being relatively close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts