Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 1 week and 2 days since I started raw. I am seeing benefits already, she really doesn't have a smell anymore, and her coat seems more shiny and soft.

But, I am having a few problems. Mornings have been tough trying to get her to eat. 3 of the mornings she didn't eat at all. Just sniffed and walked away. The other times I had to hold the chicken backs for her so she would start then she would finish them.

Dinner, she has been doing ok. But again some of nights, she just wasn't interested in eating. I really don't know why. When she was on kibble she would go nuts for meals, now she isn't the least bit excited. Also, some nights or mornings she would only eat 1 chicken back and refuse to eat the other one.

At first I thought it was a transitioning thing, she she was new to raw, and didn't know how to eat it, but it's almost like she doesn't want to eat it.

Any idea why this is happening? Or anything I can do to try and get her to go nuts for food and want to eat when I put it in front of her?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm not there watching but I suspect you are trying too hard. She is getting attention for not eating. Stop trying to get her to eat. Let her decide on her own. If she misses a meal, oh well, its not a biggie.

Perhaps you are overfeeding her. I have 2 Great Danes and they only get one back each in the morning and one quarter in the evening. I used to feed them 2 backs and 2 quarters but they started getting fat so I cut back to one.

I suggest giving her one back in the morning. Either hand it to her like I do my dogs or just put it down and let her have it. Don't do anything to try to get her to eat. If she hasn't eaten in about 10 minutes, take it up, put it back in the fridge and offer her nothing until supper time. You should be feeding quarters by now in the evening. Does she like them better? She should because there is more meat there. Give her one leg quarter. Again, don't try to get her to eat. Hand her the quarter or lay it down and let her eat it.

At meal times after you have given her the food, stand back and stay out of the way. All this is still new to her. Let her work her way through it. She will catch on pretty quickly. I suspect she is just not hungry because she has overeaten the last week.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am trying to hard, I'll try just giving it to her and leave her alone. Maybe it is too much, although some meals she ate the 2 backs no problems.

I was supposed to start quarters last night, but I defrosted a chicken breast by accident. I do have a quarter defrosted for tonight though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, A few days after posting this Bailey started eating everything I put in front of her. She finally started getting excited for the delicious meat coming out of the fridge :biggrin:

I guess she just had to get over the transition from kibble to raw, but she's doing great now.

I was supposed to start 1 meal of pork this week, but i've been getting killed at work and haven't had time to get to the butchers. Maybe tomorrow...

Also, her poo has been thick as usual, but has been more on the yellow side and a lot less (she's still going 2 times a day, just smaller amounts). Is this just from the transition?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The yellowish color is normal on a mostly chicken diet. Once you start adding in other meats, and she has a diverse diet of different meats, her poo color will change.

Don't fret if she gets looser stools from organ meals or richer meats. This is normal and nothing to worry about. Diarrhea is a natural reaction to different foods...and I am sure that you know this first hand LOL :wink: :tongue:

Glad to hear that she is doing great and an eager eater!!! Always good to hear!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts