Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may sound very strange, but I'm 100% sure that one of my adult dogs has grown slightly in the month or so I've been doing raw. He's a rescued Beagle that a friend and myself were responsible for getting his dam out of a very bad situation. She was visibly malnourished and whelped her pups about a week early because of it. The dam had very little milk and we decided to go ahead and bottle feed the pups because she was not up to nursing a litter in her condition. I've had a premature litter myself, and those pups really do struggle to survive... sometimes the effects are lifelong (i.e. they might have stunted growth/failure to thrive).

So, the little rescue (Lou) I kept from that litter remained here because we never expected him to live. As late as 5 weeks, he'd barely doubled his birthweight, and at 4 months was the size of a large boned Chihuahua. Smarter than all hell though, so I felt bad and he sort of just flopped here. I added vitamins, supplements and the occasional bit of raw to his diet over the years, but his growth was PAINFULLY slow, and he grew probably until he was just over 2yrs. He will be four years old in August, and was about 11" at the withers. I have a female who is naturally small and about 11.5", and that small amount of height she had on him actually did show drastically when they stood together.

Lou has been doing fantastically on raw, really thriving. He's built up muscle, which he never really had before, and although his fat is burning off, he is definitely a heavier dog than he was a month ago. He's also taking a substantial amount of exercise when he was slightly on the lazy side before, and for the first time in his life, looks healthier than my own dogs that I bred or owned from pups! I also noticed today that he seemed to be the exact size as Bunny, our 11.5" dog. I got my measuring wicket out, and sure enough he is a hair taller her, about 11.6"!!! That is half of a full inch of growth in a month, for an adult dog, and I KNOW KNOW KNOW he was substantially shorter than the small female several weeks ago.

I brought this issue up with my cat's old Vet tonight, because she was relatively knowledgeable in nutrition, and she thinks that if there was growth, it could be because of two reasons. He never reached his genetic potential for height because of the malnourished dam and his premature birth (which led to failure to thrive issues for several months) and because of added minerals in the bones (she cited MSM in particular) that he was not getting before. That being said, she was still very skeptical that an adult dog grew such an amount. :eek:hwell:

Has anyone heard of or seen this happening with their own dogs when switched to raw? The only other thing like it I've gone through was a dramatic growth spurt in a year old dog (large breed neutered mutt) after starting raw, but not with one so old. I'd be very curious to know this can actually happen and is not my imagination. I know all about the closing of growth plates, which my Vet reminded me of, which is why this is so puzzling. But I'm sure of it, and hope I'm not just crazy and others have experience with this. Thanks!!!

ETA: Forgot to add Lou is still intact because of issues with his breathing and a minor heart murmur, so he cannot safely go under anesthesia, and I haven't been able to find a Vet that uses the safer isoflourane. (sp?)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I've been feeding raw for a year. While I haven't noticed dramatic growth spurts in height, I have noticed a dramatic change in their muscle mass & appearance.

My labs have been on raw for over a year now, and Remi my GSP has been on raw since he was 13 weeks old. The change in the labs muscle mass is shocking. They look SO athletic, lean & muscular. Remi is my first pup brought up on raw, and I have been SO happy with is growth (slow & steady like it should be!) and muscle mass. I get compliments all the time on their great body condition. Its not even that they've gained weight, but they've gained the muscle mass to make them look ripped & healthy.

I don't doubt one bit that your dog has reaped the benefits of raw and that it has helped his growth. I think that giving a dog what is natural to them, when they have been fed something so completely un-natural, makes for big changes. Nallah is living proof of that. She was always lean, but she didn't have the muscle mass she should. On raw, she has defined muscles & is the model of positive change in implementing a raw diet.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Either way, that's pretty awesome that he's doing so well!! Sounds like you've given him a good fighting chance at a wonderful life! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Its great to here that he is now doing so well, and how you are now reaping the rewards for the patients and dedication.

As for the growth, it is highly unlikely that there has been any long bone lengthening as this would require the growth plates to never have fused. What is more likely is that he has developed the muscles to hold him self up correctly.

Think of it as the couch potato type person in a slouch compared to a yoga instructor stood upright.

whatever the reason its great news
:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts