Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, I'm starting my dog on orijen dry food pretty soon and with his previous dry food (merrick turducken) I have always added a couple teaspoons of wet food. I have a veriety of wet foods I add including several flavors of merrick, tiki, wellness, solid gold, evangers, california natural, innova, party animal, weruva, etc. They are all premium wet food but some do have grains in them. Since I am only adding a couple teaspoons to the dry, will the grains in the wet food throw off the whole "grain-free" diet of orijen? The main reason I switched to grain free was because my dog was chewing on his paws non stop.

I already have a lot of cans of wet so I don't want to waste them, but I dont want to feed them if they will mess up his diet. Sorry so long :) Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Only you can answer that based on whether the dog's paws itch or not. Once they are gone, I wouldn't buy any more w/ grain. If they are itching now, I wouldn't feed anything with grain for a couple of months to see if they clear up. That is the only way you can tell if grain is the problem.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You could always donate those cans of food to your local shelter, or to someone that is going through hard times and needs dog food!
Sorry, that is the rescue person in me coming out! :)
Or you could sell them to someone who might need them and make a little bit of your money back from them!
Or you could just use them till they are gone and see how it goes! :)
I don't think that a couple of teaspoons will hurt anything too much! But keep your eyes open for anything that you don't want to see in your dog! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Did you get the cans at a specilaty shop? Alot of times they will take the cans back. I know my mom and pop store took back my evangers cans when I questioned them because of some recalls with no problem.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
If the grain is the source of the problem, then grain in any form, kibble or canned, will be a problem. Personally, I'd continue with the cans you have and if you're still seeing the itching, then stop and perhaps donate the unused cans to a shelter? When the cans you have now are gone, I'd stick with grain free (or better yet- pure and simple meat) cans thereafter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts