Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I have a year old large mix breed. He loves his raw diet. His only issue is that he is a bit itchy - dryish skin. The vet doesn’t think it’s allergies. I started giving him a Tbsp of olive or coconut oil each day. This seemed to be helping but the vet - who seems great - thought more fish oils - specifically “nutracoat” supplements would be better. Maybe she’s right but they aren’t exactly cheap.

He gets salmon once a week for omega 3s but maybe he needs more.

What are good choices to add to his diet? Whole hearing? Cod liver oil? Something else? What ends up being cost friendly? I’m not cheap when it comes to giving him what he needs but...

Continue with olive oil and or coconut oil? I’m reading that some think both are good stuff.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This forum is pretty sparse lately I've noticed, and I can't tell you a lot, probably more active forums elsewhere, but my two cents.
Coconut oil, and even Olive oil while decent is limited (for Omegas) compared to good fish oil. The nutrient range of coco oil turns out to be pretty narrow I've found.
The only problems with fish (ideally wild salmon) oil is it can turn rancid = toxic. There are better quality ones.
I'd think raw frozen sardines would be good. Canned sardines may be good but have a lot of salt as far as i know.
I got advice from Mercola Vet info, if you feed a lot of beef, adding virgin Hemp oil will complete the Omega thing.
PS: Dogs Naturally web magazine is excellent for any nutritional/health issues; easy to source.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. My raw food dealer sells frozen herring. I think they are just big sardines? How many a week would you give a 90lb dog?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts