Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about a combo kibble/fresh diet. I've been adding canned salmon, sardines, and boiled eggs to Maggie's kibble (Acana Wild Prairie at the moment). Since the majority of this added food is fish, should I stay away from fish based kibble? Just rotate maybe chicken, lamb, and a red meat? Thanks for any advice,

Andy

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
if you want to use a fish based kibble, then rotate what you add, maybe?

like add meat or chicken to a fish based kibble...and when you're using meat/fowl based kibble, then add fish....

i think there are lots of combos.....don't you?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely, its just easier for me to add fish and eggs. I was just wondering if I kept the kibble meat based and the add ons fish-based it would keep a nice balance. I suppose it would be better overall to do what you suggested.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i think what you're doing is fine..you're giving them a well rounded diet....years ago, we would have never rotated kibble...poor things ...they were on the same food day in and day out...

i was just thinking that if you did a fish based kibble and then added chicken or beef to the equation, that would be pretty well rounded...

because the other way around is meat based kibble and fish and eggs added...

now, you're really dancing :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i think what you're doing is fine..you're giving them a well rounded diet....years ago, we would have never rotated kibble...poor things ...they were on the same food day in and day out...

i was just thinking that if you did a fish based kibble and then added chicken or beef to the equation, that would be pretty well rounded...

because the other way around is meat based kibble and fish and eggs added...

now, you're really dancing :)

Re/others, whats the story on adding fresh meat to kibble? good, bad...myth?

I've read where we should be careful of adding meat because the food is balanced and you can throw things off and also that they have different rates of digestion....

I had a bunch of chicken that was slightly freezer burnt. I cooked it up in big pot..stuck it in the refrig and have been feeding it as a treat to all my guys. they love it and go absolutely bonkers for it(which leads me to another dilemma....I'd like to see them go that crazy for ALL their meals) but for now, thoughts?

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Re/others, whats the story on adding fresh meat to kibble? good, bad...myth?

I've read where we should be careful of adding meat because the food is balanced and you can throw things off and also that they have different rates of digestion....

I had a bunch of chicken that was slightly freezer burnt. I cooked it up in big pot..stuck it in the refrig and have been feeding it as a treat to all my guys. they love it and go absolutely bonkers for it(which leads me to another dilemma....I'd like to see them go that crazy for ALL their meals) but for now, thoughts?
my personal opinion....is that when i fed kibble, i added home cooking to it....

i didn't see the harm....the more protein and fat, the better...for the dogs...

i didn't add veggies or grains or other things...just meat or chicken or fish; and, at the time, i was into home cooking....

i honestly don't know the answer to your question kevin...i was having a dog food crisis at the time and didn't know what direction i was going...i had just put three dogs to sleep that year; and, whilst they were older, i felt that the kibble i was using and had used for years contributed to their deaths ...but that's a story i have told you....so no need to go into further detail....i really do, though, have a problem with menadione...

any time i added my food to their diet, they looked better...i have an older dog and a young dog and i have an old dog....so i want to do the best i can by them...i do the same for myself and for my husband.

i guess the real question is how do you know their food that you feed them is balanced?

i know people who take multivitamins....and, yet, when i look at the ingredients in these vitamins..especially the multis......all i can see is expensive urine, because the vitamin is not balanced...

the ratio of magnesium to calcium is wrong...they are processed wrong...they are not chelated....other things which we are not discussing here.

so if you base your premise on the surety that your dog food is a balanced meal, then adding isn't necessary...and your dogs would be thrown off balance...

but i'm not so sure of that. actually i disagree totally that dog food manufacturers and vitamin manufacturers put out a balanced product....

then again, i also think the food pyramid, both old and new, is a crock....but, that's me and my research :)

hence all the debating going on in vitamin/supplement forums, nutrition forums and dog food forums...:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevin,

I honestly don't know the opinion of dogaware.com here but the author of that website says that as long as you feed at least 50% kibble you don't have to worry about variety as much to ensure a proper balance. I wouldn't mind hearing the opinion of others here about dogaware.com. I've included the link about adding fresh foods. If that is against the forum rules, please remove and accept my apologies.

DogAware.com: Adding Fresh Foods to Commercial Dog Food

·
Registered
645 Posts
We've fed two senior siberians 50% kibble, primarily fish based, but occasionally duck based for over 2 years. We then add cooked chicken, beef, pork, turkey and lamb to their meal. We've not had problems. We've thrown in the occasional vegetable when the garden was prolific but do that very seldom. The dogs also like the occasional yogurt, and cottage cheese, both low fat. Veggies and the other additions were given maybe once every two weeks at most. We've got shiney coats, good stools, good energy and no complaints/concerns.
We recently did decide to check into the Honest Kitchen as an alternative to our present feeding regimen. Waiting for the verdict from our vet on phosphorous/calcium ratio on two of THK's foods and our samples now. Our senior boy had recent bloodwork indicating a very slightly elevated creatinine level, all his other numbers were low to mid range of wnl, so we just want to be cautious. The only reason for considering the switch is to feed a diet somewhat closer to raw, and hopefully even healthier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts