Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I think I'm going to stick with a grain free kibble for Murph & Abbie. Murph as I've been posting, has tummy & allergy troubles, and it seems that grain free is often a good way to go for these issues (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've narrowed it down to Acana or TOTW.

TOTW is very affordable. We've fed it to our two other dogs *Abbie and Coop* in the past and they both loved it and did great.

I was researching other foods and looking at the list you guys have made of the five best foods, and it seems that Acana is mentioned A LOT. I've been reading about it, and it seems like a really great food. Granted, it is more expensive, but I do believe it's still in our price range, esp since Murph is just 20lbs and doesn't eat a whole lot. I also like their lamb & apple formula which they describe as a true allergy formula.

So, now I'm trying to decide between the two. I know TOTW has worked for many dogs (including mine) but it seems like Acana is a step up. Is it really a big difference in quality? I also love that it's made by Champion, as I hear nothing but amazing things about Orijen.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I would definitely go with the Acana if it were my dogs, I actually feed Acana to my rescues until I transition them to raw.

Reactions: SpooOwner

·
Registered
6 Posts
are you talking about acana provincial? since they dont have lamb/apple sauce formula. It comes in 3 varieties: prarie, grasslands and pacifica (grasslands is lamb based).
Those are the grain-free varieties - there are several grained varieties listed on their site as well: Champion Petfoods | ACANA | Our Products

My dog did really really well on TOTW for about a year. Then we switched to EVO over ethoxyquin concerns. Didn't do as well on the EVO, so we're transitioning to Acana/raw (I just bought our first full bag today, she's had some samples). If I see verification that TOTW is now e-free, we may add it back into our rotation. I don't think it's as "good" as Acana, but it worked really well for us.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to go with Acana! I can't wait to begin transitioning them tomorrow morning.

Even if I have to drive the 45 minutes when I move to PA, no big deal. I will just buy a few bags at a time so I'm not making the drive every few weeks. I am startin them on the grasslands formula. I gave them each a few kibbles of it tonight and they went CRAZY for it :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Meg,

If you live in PA, I believe shipping costs would be very reasonable from either Heartypet or PFD. I believe they are somewhere east(don't quote me, you'll have to check)....I live in Michigan and its typically about $12 shipping for a big bag(though I never pay it because I wait for deals).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Meg,

If you live in PA, I believe shipping costs would be very reasonable from either Heartypet or PFD. I believe they are somewhere east(don't quote me, you'll have to check)....I live in Michigan and its typically about $12 shipping for a big bag(though I never pay it because I wait for deals).
there are some retailers in MI (so im guessing you're a bit out in the wilderness?).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I know I've posted this before; but in case someone missed it.
K9 Cuisine offers FREE shipping on any order $50.00 or more.
At Heartypet, if you use the promo code DOGSTER you always get 8% off.

Reactions: Scarlett_O'

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, apparently k9 cuisine doesn't carry Acana. But both PFD and Heartypet do, so I will def keep an eye on those!

I actually get coupons/discount emails from PFD all the time becuase I've purchased stuff on there before!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I won't be ordering it for at least another few weeks, as I'm still in CT and the place where I got it last night is right up the highway about 5 minutes, so we're good for awhile!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But! I really appreciate all these options! :D Now I will never worry about not finding it lol! I'm guessing PFD will restock within a few weeks though?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
there are some retailers in MI (so im guessing you're a bit out in the wilderness?).

Buddy, yeah, I've actually got a Boutique store close by(in Kalamazoo) that I go to once in awhile.

But my experiences with PFD and Heartypet have been pretty favorable, plus I can save a few bucks with them...so I like the "right to my door" option.

LOVE Acana. Been the best food for my guys. The stuff comes VACUUM Packed, for pete's sake.

Orijen/Acana are first class through and through. As I stated before, the day they sell out, I'm all Raw.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
thats the one i go to. it is an hour north of me, but i ocassionally go to kzoo for other purposes.
cool, I must have missed it...didn't know you were so close.

yeah, I go to Barks 5th Ave on Oakland every now and then...cool little store but last I recall, PFD and Heartypet are a bit cheaper(haven't been into Barks in awhile).

I'm also in Ann Arbor every now and then and they have a few stores with the good stuff. Not sure what Grand Rapids has...I'm sure we could find Champion stuff there also.

·
Registered
127 Posts
heartypet is great! naturalk9supplies.com is also offering 5% using SUMMER5 on all order throughout the summer. ACANA 100%!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Someone posted this on another forum I'm on...interesting thought IMO.

"Acana cost about 75 dollars here, while TOTW costs 42 dollars for the 30 pound bag.

Dog food analysis website has Acana as a 4 and 5 star depending on which one you buy. TOTW is 6 starts for 2 of them and 5 star for one of them.

I've used both and I personally wouldn't use Acana again. My girl didn't like the taste, it was so much more expensive and I can't see any indication of being better than other dog food like wellness or TOTW.

TOTW uses purified water now as well, which I'm not sure if others do, but they are advertising it.

My vote goes to TOTW"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts