Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a lucky 9y/o juvenile hunt on my farm last weekend. He got his rack and I got the meat.:biggrin: The guys did a good job of cutting things up, but never having an entire deer to freeze for dog meat (noob to raw) I was wondering if I could cut this piece of bone up into 3 pieces to give to my dogs. I've cut all the meat off that I could. It appears to be a femur and part of the pelvis. I know I've read that weight bearing bones could break teeth, but was wondering if that was true with deer. Also concerned about the pelvis part of the bone. Very flat. Could it splinter????? I'm trying to be not so anal about this, but raw feeding has gone so well for me, I don't want to screw things up.
Thanks for any advice. Hope the pics don't gross anybody out:eek:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Well aren't you Miss Luckypants? Jeez!

Thumbnails don't work on my computer, so you'll have to just tell me how big the bone is. I'd say if it splits into pieces smaller than 5 or 6 inches then just leave it whole and give it to one lucky dog. And the pelvis should be fine to feed and great for cleaning the teeth. As far as weight bearing bones of deer go, I think it should be fine since deer are tiny so their bones don't bear much weight.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Crap ranmiller. How do I just post the pic and not have to do thumbnails?????
The leg bone is about 15" which includes what appears to be part of the pelvis with it. Looks like it is from the knee up.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah I'd say break it into three pieces and make three dogs very happy and one old dog very jealous! :biggrin:

Umm man it's been a long time since I've posted pics but I think what you do is upload them to a website of sorts and then copy picture's web address then click on the "picture" icon (the yellow square with the mountain and sun next to the "quote" icon) and paste the web address. A free website I like to use for this is TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's a pic of the buck he killed. Just for you rannmiller:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a new blade for my hacksaw. Thought I would try to cut it into 3 pieces for the girls and guy.:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Haha glad my advice worked! Nice pics! You are just having so much fun with your hacksaw and your new doggy diet and your ability to put pics on here, arent you? :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts