Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently went RAW with my two middle-aged cats aged 10 and 12 (can't yet get them to eat bone or organs so am supplementing with Feline Instincts Plus with chicken liver at the mo').

I am now bringing in three puppies to my house and will be feeding raw from the get go. I have read the How To Get Started article from PreyModelRaw.com and in transitioning from kibble it states to fast for one day. Is this appropriate for 8 to 10 week old puppies? One of the puppies is a giant breed (SA Boerboel) don't know if that makes a difference. If it is not appropriate to fast a puppy for a full day, should I just go cold turkey with smaller meals?

This is a great site btw. Full of very useful information and links.

Carol

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Puppies aren't nearly as sensitive as adults and you don't really want to fast a puppy, but you must also consider that they may not take to raw immediately in which case, fasting will be unavoidable. I'd recommend just switching them to raw cold turkey and seeing how they do. Feed them a smaller meal of kibble the night before, then only raw in the morning. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Welcome! Great to have another faw feeder on board :biggrin:

We went raw cold turkey when we got Akasha @ 8 weeks.

Just start with high bone content chicken to minimize any digestive issues

If you're ready to go when you bring them in the door I wouldn't ever feed kibble again. Just fall right into the raw.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hi all,

I recently went RAW with my two middle-aged cats aged 10 and 12 (can't yet get them to eat bone or organs so am supplementing with Feline Instincts Plus with chicken liver at the mo').

I am now bringing in three puppies to my house and will be feeding raw from the get go. I have read the How To Get Started article from PreyModelRaw.com and in transitioning from kibble it states to fast for one day. Is this appropriate for 8 to 10 week old puppies? One of the puppies is a giant breed (SA Boerboel) don't know if that makes a difference. If it is not appropriate to fast a puppy for a full day, should I just go cold turkey with smaller meals?

This is a great site btw. Full of very useful information and links.

Carol
Thank you, thank you for bringing this small, but significant tidbit to my attention. I just edited the page accordingly!!! I'm glad that you like the site...figured it was just about time that someone have a good all around raw feeding site with all the info in one spot to refer people to :biggrin:

I would give them 6-12 hours between their last kibble meal and their first raw meal to minimize the mixing of the two in their systems. Mixing kibble and raw has shown that it can cause digestive upset.

·
Banned
493 Posts
yea i went cold turkey with my girl too. no problems whatsoever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts