Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably a silly question, but I still have a lot to learn, so here it goes: most of you agreed that 80/10/10 proportions of meat/ bone/ organs should be provvided to the dog. Ok, but looking at what I am feeding, chicken quartes only for the moment, there is more bone than the 10% mentioned. I have read somewhere that the whole chicken is constituted of 50/50% meat/bone. And turkey is not much different, I would think, but I can be wrong. Chicken seems to be the most popular 'dish' for dogs. What is it that I am missing?

Also, today I saw a cow's Tongue in the store. I didn't buy it because i feel quite funky about it. I am having hard times finding cows hearts and kidneys. Are they important to include it in the diet or can we bypass them at least for a while?

Tha ks a lot.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It's probably a silly question, but I still have a lot to learn, so here it goes: most of you agreed that 80/10/10 proportions of meat/ bone/ organs should be provvided to the dog.
No, I don't think most of us agree to that. There are those that expouse those ratio's but you won't see it often on this board. Percentages and ratios are measurements that are not to be worried too much about as long as you keep things reasonable. Feed mostly meat, some bone, and some organs. Exacty amounts just don't matter too much. They are pretty difficult to measure anyway. I wouldn't be uncomfortable feeding anywhere between 5% and 40% bone.

Let the dog tell you. If his stools come out of the chute white and crumbly, you are feeding too much bone. If they are soft and mushy, you are probably not feeding enough bone. If they come out solid little nuggets that turn white and powdery in a day or two, you are pretty much right on.

As long as you feed some organs and your dog doesn't have soft stools, you are ok on organs. BTW: for nutritional purposes, heart is not an organ, rather it's muscle. Too many organs can cause loose stools. Again let the dog tell you.

Ok, but looking at what I am feeding, chicken quartes only for the moment, there is more bone than the 10% mentioned. I have read somewhere that the whole chicken is constituted of 50/50% meat/bone. And turkey is not much different, I would think, but I can be wrong. Chicken seems to be the most popular 'dish' for dogs. What is it that I am missing?
Chicken quarters are 35% bones. Whole chickens are 31% bone. I think turkey is pretty close to the same.

Also, today I saw a cow's Tongue in the store. I didn't buy it because i feel quite funky about it. I am having hard times finding cows hearts and kidneys. Are they important to include it in the diet or can we bypass them at least for a while?
Cow tongue is good muscle meat to feed. Beef heart is great food to feed. It's worth taking some time to find a good source. I never feed kidneys but they are good. Liver is absolutely necessary. I think you are pretty new to feeding raw and if so, don't worry about organs for a couple of months. I would wait that long before introducing them into the diet.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
The tongue I fed the dogs the other day made them both have loose stools, being so fresh, could that have been the problem? I know I didn't over indulge them.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Fresh shouldn't contribute to soft stools. Lack of bone MIGHT have but you should be able to feed occasional boneless meals without producing soft stools. Maybe you fed 2 or 3 boneless meals in a row?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Nope, they had chicken wings for breakfast, my female is the one who I really noticed the loose stools, my male won't go poop on leash, he has to hide in the bushes in the woods, so I'm not real sure of his poop. They never had tongue before, but they sure liked it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts