Dog Food Chat banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Abady is not the worst food on the market, but it's not something I'd even consider in the running if I were looking for something to feed my pets.

While I'm not as terrified of by-products used in pet foods as some people are, I also don't feel that they should be the bulk of any kind of feeding plan... and for this food to be made up of MOSTLY chicken by products, rice, and then fish meal and lard... it's just not impressive, at all... ESPECIALLY when looking at the price tag.

I'm not sure about you, but I have dogs... and dogs don't need rice.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i just came from another forum where people are posting promotional material put out by Abady and passing it off as some kind of research proving the virtues of abady dog food.

...one of the claims was feeding Abady dog food prevents hip dysplasia in large breeds...........every shred of evidence and research i have ever seen regarding HD indicates dietary considerations may delay onset of symptoms or exacerbate them...but for the food itself to prevent what is primarily a genetic disease:confused:

anyway..the food...eh...nothing special is my opinion, and if it is not cheap, then really nothing special, imo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its 35 pounds for $117 dollars just not sure it is worth that, or if my picky eater will like it. Plus I cant find anyone locally to buy it. :mad:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
It's not worth it. There are FAR better foods on the market for the same price or even cheaper.
the only one I can think of more expensive is ZiwiPeak...and it's leaps and bounds better than Abady.... but still not worth the price tag in my opinion.

L

·
0 Posts
On the subject of Abady Feeds. I had been considering fostering a Fidelco guide dog puppy. Fidelco is located right here in Connecticut, where I live. So, as I was reading through the fostering information, I came across this: "Fosters must provide food for their foster pups. Food must be purchased at Fidelco." I decided to email the foster coordinator to inquire what brand of food we are required to feed. The answer: ABADY. Fidelco sells the raw, granular, and kibble and it is expected that all Fidelco pups will be fed exclusively ABADY feeds. Fosters sign a contract stating same.

For an organization such as Fidelco to put their trust in Abady Feeds says a lot, in my opinion. After all, they are producing guide dogs for the blind.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
That doesn't mean anything in my book, especially since the "Delta Society" has said it will not allow dogs in its program that are fed a raw diet. You can put in anything you want in your contracts, they probably having a buying incentive with Abady.

Reactions: DaneMama

·
Registered
438 Posts
For an organization such as Fidelco to put their trust in Abady Feeds says a lot, in my opinion. After all, they are producing guide dogs for the blind.
there are well renowned guide dog schools throughout the country that have essentially contracted to feed certain foods...and a few of them are foods you can buy in a grocery store....so i dont put too much stock into that.

L

·
0 Posts
its 35 pounds for $117 dollars just not sure it is worth that, or if my picky eater will like it. Plus I cant find anyone locally to buy it. :mad:
Is that for the granular? The largest bag of Abady kibble is 20 pounds and it sells for about $35. Two kinds of Abady kibble available - New York Naturals (lamb & rice) and New Frontier (chicken meal) the lamb being slightly more expensive.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I bet the food is donated. I volunteered at a service dog org and their food was donated. Can't remember the brand but it wasn't a top brand. Maybe Iams but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
This really holds no water in my book. Doesn't AAHA put their trust in Science Diet?
What one group or organization (ESPECIALLY one making money off of a product) recommends means nothing to me unless their decisions make sense. Abady doesn't.

·
Registered
474 Posts
They require feeding Abady because they reduced their incidents of HD tremendously when they started feeding Abady years ago. I've fed Abady before. My dogs did extremely well on it. I would suggest if you have no first hand knowledge or experience with the product, your opinions - which are based on what? the lable? - should not be so critical. That is true with any product.

·
Registered
438 Posts
They require feeding Abady because they reduced their incidents of HD tremendously when they started feeding Abady years ago..
there was no science, no legitimately done studies to support the ridiculous claim that feeding Abady prevents HD. if you read the whole story behind that claim, the conclusion is laughable and causes them to lose alot of credibility with me..

and why is it that everyone supporting Abady on several forums i am on parrots the some version of the following phrase over and over:

I would suggest if you have no first hand knowledge or experience with the product, your opinions - which are based on what? the lable? - should not be so critical.

how dare anyone look at the label...whats in the food...and judge the food...you must feed it before you are allowed to be critical of it. ridiculous. better to judge Abady on some of the ridiculous claims they make, or because a guide dog school uses it, or some breeders endorse it.

oh, never mind...there are breeders who strongly endorse Purina and guide dog schools in other parts of the country that endorse and will only feed Iams.

L

·
0 Posts
I bet the food is donated. I volunteered at a service dog org and their food was donated. Can't remember the brand but it wasn't a top brand. Maybe Iams but I'm not sure.
The foster coordinator has informed me that, no, the food is NOT donated. The organization purchases the food from Abady. The organization selected that food based on its quality, after the organization did some research.

There is plenty of literature available on Abady Feeds. It is available online or at any store that stocks the products. Free samples are also available at the feed store that carries this brand.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am not endorsing the product. I am just relaying the information on the reason why they require the use of a particular product. I never said it was real science or that the product prevents HD.

I've been feeding dogs long before kibble was popular. Some things that appear to be useless on a label may actually be a decent ingredient in the right proportion.

Again, I am not defending any one particular product. All dogs are different and therefore some may do well on "bad" food while others do poorly.

And I do believe that first hand experience is an important factor; for this reason. Many years ago I had a pure-bred pup that had digestion issues - this was long before EPI, SIBO, etc. were ever heard of. As a last result, we fed the pup Pedigree. This sickly small runt pup ate Pedigree for over 13 years and died in it's sleep. Not bad for a German Shepherd. So to say that a particular food is not good for a dog is a generalization that is not always the case.

L

·
0 Posts
...... This sickly small runt pup ate Pedigree for over 13 years and died in it's sleep. Not bad for a German Shepherd. So to say that a particular food is not good for a dog is a generalization that is not always the case.
One of the rescue volunteers I work with has a GSD that eats only Pedigree because its the only food that will agree with its digestive issues.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.