Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two lab mix dogs, almost 6 years old. When they were about two, I switched them to a raw food diet and it went very well until my little girl decided she wasn't eating it anymore. She appears to have an aversion to cool meat. When I feed it to her, she gets it in her mouth and then makes this gagging look on her face and lets it fall out.

My little boy loved it.

So, I tried just gently heating it for a little while and that was better, then she hated that too.

I really want to go back to raw. She is developing severe ear infections, is flighty and nervous a lot of the time, and in the past month has begun having serious diarrhea.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Instead of raw, I have just been feeding them cooked meat that we eat, and then giving bones to chew. I would feel so much better with an all raw diet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
First off, I'm new to raw but I have one who is similar to yours. Our bluetick mix, Lucky is real picky and always tries to hold out thinking she may get something better. She will pick up something like a chicken quarter, then just drop it and look at me, Walk around checking out what everyone else has. By then, someone else has gone and eaten hers. I don't give her anymore. She just missed out. I guess its like tough love. She has done this a couple of times for about three days in a row. By then, she gets hungry and figures out she better eat when its time to eat. Now she is doing a lot better with it, and I don't go out of my way to cater to her special wants. She, as will yours will eat when they get hungry. If they don't want it, take it up and feed at the next meal. It's not long they figure it out and start eating.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have two lab mix dogs, almost 6 years old. When they were about two, I switched them to a raw food diet and it went very well until my little girl decided she wasn't eating it anymore.
It's easy. You are the human and the others are dogs. Dogs eat what they are fed. It's up to the humans to decide what food they eat. Do like danesgalore said in the previous post ... give each dog a chicken quarter, stand back and stay out of their way. Don't do anything to dress up the meal. Don't do anything to make it more appealing to either dog. Just a plain chicken quarter. Don't beg, cajole, bribe or othewise entice the dogs to eat.

After 10 minutes of not showing interest in the food, pick it up and put it back in the fridge. No between meal snacks or treats. Don't fuss or otherwise act angry or upset. Just matter of factly pick it up without saying anything and put it away. Next meal time take out the same chicken quarter and repeat the steps in the previous paragraph. Continue this until the dog eats.

Don't worry or feed guilty that you are starving the dog. You aren't. You are offering food and the dog is deciding whether or not to eat it. It is his decision to make. No dog will let himself starve to death in the presence of food. The dog MAY go 4 or 5 days without eating. Let him, it won't hurt him. Most dogs will begin eating by day 2 but not all. He can go a couple of weeks without eating and will not be harmed by it. A few days won't matter.

Picky eaters are not born, rather they are created and you have created a picky eater by allowing him to decide what he will and won't eat.

Switching them back to a raw diet is the healthiest thing you can do for them. Be strong. Step up to the plate and take charge of your pack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are both absolutely right (of course you know that). I just love her so much and she is my cuddle bug. She just love love loves, ya know? And she looks at me with those beautiful brown eyes and gets that gaggy awful look on her face.

Yes, I am a marshmellow.

And, I'm happy I found this board.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would definitely do the tough love approach as well. I had to do it too and even though it was difficult to see my dogs struggle I would change the way I did it. I still have to do the tough love approach with certain things on occasion, it's normal. It's kinda like getting a human kid to eat their veggies...they don't want to because they would rather eat sweets and junk food so if you let them that is all they would eat.

I knew it had to be done and as the owner I knew it was the done in their best interest. A dog doesn't know what's best for itself so you have to take the responsibility of providing the very best that you possibly can!!! It's well worth the fight in the beginning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Danemama, her name is Riley and she is part lab, part great dane. She is a beauty! and thanks for the thank you, I haven't figured that out, yet, but I'll find it!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
pugs never met a food they didn't like. until we got to fish. and then he met smelt. whole. slimy. smelt.

this is the same dog who dances with food, tries to swallow drumsticks and llama whole.

smelt was his death blow.

i put it on the floor and left it there.

twenty minutes later, i picked it up.

when i fed it to him for dinner, he ate it like it was his best friend.

he's never refused food since then.

he'll eat it frozen, warm, cold, whatever.

same goes for my malia. she didn't know what to do with raw, having been fed kibble, then home cooked.

i was the indulgent one. these are my heart dogs...

i believe most of us started out as mushes and easily manipulated humans....

now?

whatever i serve is what they get. don't want it? fine. my dogs eat in less than two minutes.

fifteen minutes is long enough for them to decide whether or not to starve or have full tummies.

the other thing that i think influenced their reluctance was my tension.....inside, i'm silently begging them to eat.....and i think they felt it...please don't choke...and i think they felt that tension.

what i did was bring a book into the room or outside and read whilst they eat.

i think that was a huge step for both me and the dogs. when we hover, and we're worried, they sense it.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The small green on the bottom right hand corner with the thumbs up sign in it allows you to "thank" someone for their post, just click on it :wink:

Post up some pictures!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts