Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's just me, but I have found some posts on here are extremely hard to read because the person does use punctuation or formatting.

Now, I'm not talking about the finer points of when to use a semi-colon, or the proper number of commas to insert in a list. This is staring at a screen that contains a huge section of text that is almost one long run one sentence: there are no capitals, few periods, or it is all presented as a single block of words rather than broken up into multiple paragraphs.

Before everyone gets all riled up about being "condescending" or "a grammar snob", this is simply an observation. If you spent all that time & effort putting your words up in a post, people would be more inclined to actually READ it if it were in fact READABLE. (Not to mention the fact that what you say would be less likely to be misinterpreted if it could be easily read.)

FWIW,

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I'm not sure who you are talking about, but is it possible that maybe it is someone from a different country with broken english? I have seen a few of those posts. Or maybe just a lack of grammer education? Just a couple of thoughts for reasoning behind it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I don't think SubMariner necessarily means those that English is a second language as yes there are a few of those here. My personal opinion on it is laziness ie wanting to get the information down as soon as possible and then not reading through it afterwards, see it a lot on another forum I visit, a local one, or maybe their keyboard skills are slow. I must say when we had our big earthquakes on Friday here I was quick to send a couple of emails to my mother in UK and didn't stop to use capitals and barely used full stops, but that was a tense situation and I was in a terrible rush.

Editing what you have written is always a good thing in my book.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I refer to these as Holy Wall of Text (HWT).

Some seem to be texting to a forum. Few caps, periods or paragraphs. The other HWT is one excessively long paragraph. It contains caps and periods but goes on and on with no break. In reading previous posts or considering the apparent educational level it is clear, in most instances, that the person knows better and does not have a language barrier. Comparing the number of views with the small number of responses, my guess is there are people who are attempting to read the posts but quickly move on when the op can't take the time to make the content clear and readable.

It seems the people who write in this manner rarely read other posts or go to an area outside their interest. Some miss connecting the dots from other discussions and will likely miss this one, as well.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I understand what you mean. Run on sentence/paragraphs drive me nuts but all capitals is the worst, for me. I just pass them by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts