Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of nights ago I got a call from a lady who raises meat rabbits and told me she has about 30 27 day old rabbits in her freezer and she wants to get them out to make more room in her freezer and told me I can have them if I want. 27 days old is pretty small and we plan to skin them if we decide to get them, but I think it may be to small to gut so would they be OK to feed whole?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I wouldn't gut them if they were large. Let the dogs do that. They love it. :smile: After they've eaten a few, you might try feeding fur-on. That will also save you some work.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That makes sense that they would do that in the wild. So being so small will it be harder for the dogs to do it by themselves?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thanks! That makes sense that they would do that in the wild. So being so small will it be harder for the dogs to do it by themselves?
No ... If they are REAL small, they may just eat all the guts and not worry about them. If they can pick up the entire rabbit, chew it a few times then swallow it, they won't bother to gut it. They will just eat the whole thing, and thats ok.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Good Luck, I have one dog, my female Cayenne "garbage gut" who will eat anything you put in front her, I haven't tried the whole rabbits yet with her but I'm guessing with this one she'll it guts and all. The other two wouldn't even touch the cut up and quartered rabbit that was nicely gutted and skinned. Every dog is different!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We only have two who I know will eat them whole without question.(the garbage gut type)!:wink:So they are the only two who will get them, unless we decide to gut a few of them ourselves. Then we will have better luck with the others.:smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Don't forget the flea tapeworm could hlbe harbored in the fur of the rabbit. I don't honestly know if freezing kills the parasite or not. I don't even think our garbage disposable dog would eat them fur on. I know our cats would!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget the flea tapeworm could hlbe harbored in the fur of the rabbit. I don't honestly know if freezing kills the parasite or not. I don't even think our garbage disposable dog would eat them fur on. I know our cats would!
Thanks Natalie! I would prefer to to skin them. The fur just dosn't seem to appetizing to me.:tongue:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
well, honey won't let me buy the ones with fur on....he doesn't think he can feed the dogs 'thumper'.

so we're ordering the skinned rabbits...but they'll be fine...

i'd order them furry if i could.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts