Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss, who is also my vet, and I had a very long discussion about food yesterday at work. He explained to me his reasonings for being wary of the prey model raw diet, mostly regarding bacteria and tapeworms. Bear in mind he is also wary of sushi for people and always teases me about deworming myself.

I take Flip (the standard poodle) to work with me every day, and he actually uses him as an example to clients of ideal weight.

He agreed with me, eventually, that if Flip stays perfect weight and doesn't have any health problems after six months of PMR, he will consider recommending it to clients. He even snapped photos of Flip's teeth, which at 10 months are sadly starting to look icky in back. Hopefully I will have awesome before/after results. He also agreed to read the books I ordered on raw diets.

He was anti-grain free food at first as well, and after seeing how much better Flip and Jack looked on it, he started recommending it to clients.

Honestly, I think most vets have so much to do and learn with diagnostic medicine, etc they don't have the time or energy to research nutrition, which is a shame. Fortunately I am happy to step in and take this on.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You are so flippin' lucky to have such a open-minded boss!!! My boss, although a wonderful vet and is awesome at what she does, isn't all that keen on PMR. She said she doesn't mind us (Jem and I) talking to clients about it, but I still feel like I'm crossing the line because I know that she will contradict everything we say. So its just not something we talk about. But I will say that the amount of clients coming in and asking about raw is increasing for sure, and I think it would actually be beneficial for her to take a closer look at alternative feeding practices.

I actually left one of Tom Lonsdale's book lying around work (not on purpose) and Amy (Jem on here) read it and made the switch. But my boss read it and was offended by it, saying that it was full of false statements....?

He will have no choice but to recommend it after 6 months because I am 100% sure that you will have awesome results that he won't be able to deny seeing himself.

The tarter on his teeth will be gone in a week. I guarantee it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D

I know I am lucky, especially since he calls himself an 'old school' vet. However, he tries to use organic and holistic things for himself and his kids, so he is a little more open minded than some, I suppose. :) He also recommends that owners try their kidney dogs on home cooked food, and he recommends that all cats be fed a high quality canned food.

Baby steps. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was gonna say exactly what Natalie said. SOOO lucky! let us know how everything goes!! Good job on talking to him! If veterinarians were correctly educated on Prey Model Raw, they would be for it in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't? It makes sense. Its natural. Putting the claimed health issues aside, PMR is what a dog SHOULD eat regardless of what it may or may not do to their health. Although we all know the many benefits it provides. =)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I know that our boss is not on board because of the lack of research on it, but I think there are vets out there that are NOT on board because they will see a loss in business...no more dentals, no more diabetes, no more thyroid issues, no more kidney failure (or at least a HUGE drop in the number of these issues) etc, etc. :eek:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I know that our boss is not on board because of the lack of research on it, but I think there are vets out there that are NOT on board because they will see a loss in business...no more dentals, no more diabetes, no more thyroid issues, no more kidney failure (or at least a HUGE drop in the number of these issues) etc, etc. :eek:
That's what I have always thought as a MAJOR reason why most vets are against PMR. Because of the loss in their business...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts