Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 mornings Olie has thrown up in his crate. He does not have a belly ache or appear sick in the least. It looks like some bile but it has a few small bones it too. He eats in the AM and them again in the PM. I am thinking he may need a little more food, but wanted to check with everyone here on this just in case:biggrin:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their meals are around 7:30am and between 5-6pm, We are still on chicken, so he will have chicken quarters or theighs. The amount is around a pound or so.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
What time is he throwing up? If he he throwing up bile long before 7:30 a.m. he is probably got the hunger pukes and you might want to stretch the later feeding time so he's not going 14 hrs without food.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would definitely try making his meals as close to 12 hours apart as possible since he gets the hunger pukes from going 14 hours but not ten. Meet somewhere in the middle.

Hunger pukes are pretty common in raw fed dogs because fresh raw meats don't spend more than about 6-8 hours in the digestive system. Newly switched dogs aren't used to this and it can take time for them to go a long amount of time without food. Three of our four dogs get fed once a day and do just fine. We also fast our dogs regularly (once every few weeks or so) and we don't have an issue with any of them getting the hunger pukes. It just takes time :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Grace went through this same thing about a week ago. Thank God for the forum and all the advice I got. She got past it....we are on to week three with a great intro so far to Turkey. She got her first wing on Wed and then the neck. She likes it better then chicken I think. She is so funny, she still refuses to "touch" any meat with her feet! I get such a kick out of watching her eat now.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Flip won't use his paws either!

Too funny. :)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Nope, not a poodle thing, my female bull terrier won't use her paws at all!:rolleyes: It's hilarious to watch her eat a beef rib just using the floor to hold the rib so she can get the beef off of the rib with her teeth!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Maybe its a "POODLE" thing....what do ya think spooky? lol
I wondered that as well!

The hunger pukes sure seem to be a poodle thing, at least.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Prissy Poodles lol! Mine do use theirs though. I should video my poms eating sometime they kill their food. Coco can make a mess too. My bf had to bath him yesterday he went crazy on a chicken leg lol.

Also I got to thinking about the pukes - I had limited their treats as well while doing the raw change over so I could watch closely to any concerns, so we have started back with their biscuts at bedtime and no pukes so far. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts