Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smile:THANK YOU to all those that help out with Rescues!
Got a call from someone who was given a dog from the pound. I may have a couple of the details wrong but someone called to complain about someone who was keeping a dog tied up. I guess animal comtrol got involved & picked up the dog & he ended up at the pound. After a few days the dog was not claimed & he was due to be euthanised. On his last day someone-a thoughtful dog person-picked him up & took him to someone else who took him to someone else (a groomer). This guy cleaned him up & had a vet check him out then he got on the internet & on the phone to get some help. He called us & through our dog club we arranged to get the dog & we are now fostering him here at our house for a few days. It took a few days but we had a volunteer drive about 7 hours round trip to get him.
This guy turned out to be a male Irish Setter maybe 10 years old (but he acts much younger). When we got him he was already cleaned up & trimmed & vetted. He seems to fit right in with the others here, he has that unmistakable unique Irish Setter personality & look in his eyes. Whatever your favorite breed is you'll know what I mean, there's just something about them.
I think the eyes say "I love you". But this guy is already older & we don't know anything about him-he's already constantly telling us-explaining to us about himself-he's great! He's already sleeping in the bedroom along with the others!
The thing is-this is what it takes-it takes US!
PEOPLE LIKE US-THOUGHTFUL DOG PEOPLE!
Get on the internet & on the phone & find the help you need to save a dog! There are dog clubs like ours (or individuals) that have the resources to get you the help to save a dog under most conditions. You'll probably have to take the first couple of steps yourself to save the dog but you can get help. And there is always something someone can do to help. We can volunteer with transportation/vet/fostering and finding a good home, whatever it takes. The help is out there.
There's someone out there who wants & needs to love a great dog!
Just think about the dog-look into his eyes & think about him-then do it!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
:smile:

L

·
0 Posts
I contacted ACO last week when I spotted a dog in a fenced yard with apparently no shelter in the pouring rain. The dog was laying on its side on the ground with the rain pouring down. The ACO informed me that he had been to that house several times in the past few years and that there should be a doghouse for the dog to go into. (I didn't see one from where I was. Perhaps it was in the very rear of the house.) Every time I walk by that house I see that poor dog. Out in the yard in all weather. Apparently the ACO has done a lot of work with these people about proper care of their dog. Some people either just don't care or cannot learn.

I pick up my 29th foster dog next week. And I'll be boarding one of my previous fosters during April vacation week. Oftentimes I say I'm not going to foster dogs anymore, it's too stressful and disruptive. But, there are just too many dogs needing help that I can't sit back and do nothing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you LabbieMama for your help-your 29 fosters are much indebted and other folks like you out there are grateful for your thoughtfulness and time. It is stressful and disruptive to do this-I guess some don't realize-we do the best we can for the dogs & then pass them off to what we hope & trust will be a loving/caring person-but we aren't really sure sometimes are we? Sometimes there's nothing we can do about the stupid idiots out there, I mean most folks are ok, but that's part of it I guess.
A little update on that Irish Setter-yesterday we took him to some friends who adopted him. They have a terrific huge yard & another Setter 10 years old-so they are about the same together & seemed to get along real well-we'll see. This guy seems kind of special to us (don't they all?). He had a caring/loving life with someone before-you could tell. Well trained/smart/affectionate/manners, driving with him in the van to the adopters he sat there up front with us if he was spending the last few minutes with us, waiting for the next ones to love & cast his spell on!
To be sure-there will be others-they all have their stories!
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THE RESCUERS!
:smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts